Speaking English PROPERLY or Die

Jurched

Ask&YoullBeSorry
May 10, 2005
Calais, Maine (not France)
To take your minds off the horrific destruction of our great historic seaport and annual winter Tit-fest, here's a little debate I've witness via email...

I don't want to extend an argument too much, but I felt I had to say something about the recent grammar debates. (Hey, I'm an English student -- it's a professional vice.)

It's certainly quite rude to make fun of people using improper English, especially when it's clear that some of that satire is racially or culturally based. It's even *ruder* to say that an entire people has neither culture, heritage, nor language.

Numba one, it is rude, but its also fuckin entertaining. And numba two, there are literally hundreds of entire peoples without culture. What party-pooper. This bitch needs six beers, three ecstasy chasers, and five horny Arab barflies.

That said, I think it's fair to expect people writing in a public medium, which this listserv is, to make an effort to communicate clearly, whether they're native speakers or not. Some of the emails that go out to this list serv are so garbled by the lack of grammar or punctuation that they're nearly incomprehensible. It doesn't matter what field people are in or where they're from; we're dealing with a group of people who are studying or teaching in a top university, so there is no excuse for not even trying to be clear.

BOOOOORING! Wake me when its over, bitch!

I don't write this because I have some sort of personal stake in this...

yes you do, you just said so.

- I'm neither American nor a native English speaker, so my linguistic or national heritage is not at question.

It is at question, because, you fuckin Ceaucescu bitch, this is America, and in America, ya gotta know the colour of someone's skin before you can listen to them talk or read what they write. The DNC is teaching me this valuable lesson right now, as they constantly point out that black people were affected by the hurricane, and black people are in need and George W. is moving slowly because the black people are black and...

I'm writing because I think as educated people we owe each other the consideration to put some effort into our communication.

She thinks, as educated people. She's a racist. Pure an' simple. Romania doesn't have any blacks, so they can't understand their virulent form of racism. Hate-filled whore!

It's not about getting an apostrophe in the right place or spelling everything perfectly -- it's about presenting information effectively. And if anyone tries to tell me that people in certain jobs don't need to do that, I wish them good luck in whatever career they undertake.

Bullshit! She'd wish us all to an early grave, especially all the blacks in Lousiana!

Ciao,
Irina

Irina A. Dumitrescu
English Language & Literature
Yale University

I love these people who cannot help but take an opportunity to say how good they are. I’d be like, “Lissen up, Ceaucescu, nobody wants to hear your ego-swollen opinion! Take your ass back to Bucharest!”

Jurched