ProTools Tempo Change Question

Ermz

¯\(°_o)/¯
Apr 5, 2002
Melbourne, Australia
www.myspace.com
Hey guys,

Here's something I've been wondering for a while.

Say you're doing pre-production for an album in PT and you've got all your songs tempo mapped in the one session. Assume that you want to change the speed of one part in the first song... that tempo shift is going to displace all the audio files you recorded in subsequent songs off their own tempos.

How do you get ProTools to move the audio files along with their tempo markers, so everything stays in synch, even after you change a preceeding tempo marker?

With Elastic Audio activated, if you change tempo, it adapts the audio file to the new tempo....I did it sometimes ago so I don't remember the exact EA function at the moment.
Later I can tell you

Set every single track to "Ticks" instead of samples before making the tempo change, then change them back to samples afterwards. "Ticks" locks every region to it's bar|beat position while "samples" locks every region to it's spot on the timeline in minutes/seconds.

So just select all your tracks then hold alt+shift, click the samples/ticks button and select ticks! ;)

Put all the tracks in ticks mode, not in samples and it will do what you want. You can change it in the little button on the left here you choose the elastic mode. The default is samples, which is a blue clock

We answered the same time. Adam, you dont need to select all the tracks and hold alt+shift. If you just hold alt and do this change it will do to all tracks

adam and no_more_beers have it right Ermz... you do not need to use Elastic Audio at all... just set your audio tracks to Tick base... but, this will cause you a problem if your tracks not consolidated, since each individual region stays locked to it's particular place in time....

however, if you are only changing the tempo of one song, there's no reason it should effect other songs.... i mean, if two songs in a row are the same tempo, and you change the tempo for one of them, yes it will effect the other,UNLESS you write another tempo event for the second track at the original tempo it had, before you change the other one.

seriously though... there are many benefits to doing each song in it's own session, and i'd strongly suggest that... especially during pre-pro, where you're more likely to be making a lot of tempo and arrangement changes as you go.