PT: Moving sections without affecting automation etc

JayB

Oct 10, 2009
open.spotify.com
I am working on a mix for my band's album at the moment, and I have everything in one session (just the way I like to work for multiple songs).However, after doing a bunch of work I realized that I wanted to move the songs farther apart from each other so that I can add an intro to one track, a longer outro to another, etc without overlapping the tracks. Is there a way to safely drag everything for a song/ multiple songs without messing with automation and all that other stuff? And drag all the markers etc too?

Yup if you select those regions and move them the automation would follow. But check that it does it correctly though :)

What this guy said, I moved a track along yesterday so I could add a longer click at the start because the band were making a music video. It kept all the automation in the right place, no problems.

hm.... may i ask why are you recording more than one song per project?

Yes you may, it's my personal preference, I find it much easier to keep tracks unified and consitent when they're all in the same session. Any processing done to one track gets done to them all.

Yes you may, it's my personal preference, I find it much easier to keep tracks unified and consitent when they're all in the same session. Any processing done to one track gets done to them all.

Thought so. well, i don't know how strong your computer is, but an album worth's automation, plugins and whatnot can be a real handful for it.
I find it more useful to do the overall mix on one track and than use "Import > session data" on the other tracks to get them to sound the same.
from that point any changes you make will make the songs differ from each other be a bit which i believe is a good thing (IMO).
If you're not familiar with the "Import > session data" feature i'd recommend checking it out, it works very well.
If you are familiar with it, different strokes i guess... :)

I definitely won't do a whole album in one session, but 3 or 4 songs works well to keep everything consistent.

I don't get it, you won't do a full album in one session but you'd do 3/4 songs in one session??
If you're doing 3/4 in a session why not doing the entire album?
Personally I don't like to have the entire album on one session, just a matter of preference.

Thought so. well, i don't know how strong your computer is, but an album worth's automation, plugins and whatnot can be a real handful for it.
I find it more useful to do the overall mix on one track and than use "Import > session data" on the other tracks to get them to sound the same.
from that point any changes you make will make the songs differ from each other be a bit which i believe is a good thing (IMO).
If you're not familiar with the "Import > session data" feature i'd recommend checking it out, it works very well.
If you are familiar with it, different strokes i guess... :)

Yeah, your method works too, and my computer is pretty powerful but honestly if you're doing the same processing to all tracks, it doesn't take any more CPU than doing it to one, as far as I'm aware.

I don't get it, you won't do a full album in one session but you'd do 3/4 songs in one session??
If you're doing 3/4 in a session why not doing the entire album?
Personally I don't like to have the entire album on one session, just a matter of preference.

Yeah that's exactly how I feel.

Yeah, your method works too, and my computer is pretty powerful but honestly if you're doing the same processing to all tracks, it doesn't take any more CPU than doing it to one, as far as I'm aware.

But than if you've added a synth just for one song, than another just for the second one, than maybe some more aux tracks that are used only in 1 part of 1 song but take up cpu throughout the whole album (project) and on and on...

ideally, if you have the whole album on one project, and you're not mixing black metal, when the mix is done you would want your computer to suffer regardless of how strong he is, that would mean the job was well done IMO.

i'd record 3 at once only if i had 3 songs that are as well related as Periphery's "Maramusa", "Ragnarok" and "Masamune".
But than only happens once in a blue moon...

Keeping your work clean and organized is just as important as twisting knobs and personally i wouldn't like to scroll back the project and find myself in a different song...

It's actually pretty easy to keep a whole album well organized in one session once you're used to it. As for the things you mentioned like synths etc, I always print these things as soon as I get the sound I want. So it's not a factor in the CPU of the rest of the tracks like you said.