PT Users, 24/48 recording, reference mixes... halp?

AudioPhile777

Mathew Cohen
Ok... I had a setup with two computers running simultaneously so I could check mixes against a reference without any problems just by pushing a button (switching audio sources)...

It's been about a week or so since I gave my secondary computer to my little sister and now I'm trying to figure out how to play reference mixes without having to leave the PT environment.

I record in 24/48 and I know if I rip waves off a cd, its going to be 16/44.1, so playing them in PT, and I'm just theorizing here, won't work.

What do you peeps do?

btw - PC, windows xp, digi002R, PT8LE...

Thanks.

pt will automatically convert the file to the session Bitrate/depth.

itll work fine.
I normally just audition things in Workspace.

what greyskull said.

i just route a reference track to some alternate outs.. in my case they are "A 3-4", which is the 3rd and 4th output channels of my DIgi 192 i/o...

then those outs go directly to one of the alternate source inputs on my monitor controller. when you send out like that from PT, with no return path, their content is obviously not effected by your 2-Buss.... so just put nothing on them and solo-safe them.. .then you can a/b back and forth instantaneously from your mix to the reference track by just alternately enabling the input source selectors on your monitor controller, irrespective of whether or not you have anything solo'ed in your session.

you might also lower the ref tracks by -4 to -6 db since your mix isn't likely already mastered while it's in progress, eh? ;)

I just bring up import audio and audition material through there BUT

If you have any processing on your master fader it will also be active and present while listening through import audio option. So bypass any master fader plugins before listening through import audio.

pt will automatically convert the file to the session Bitrate/depth.

itll work fine.
I normally just audition things in Workspace.

what greyskull said.

i just route a reference track to some alternate outs.. in my case they are "A 3-4", which is the 3rd and 4th output channels of my DIgi 192 i/o...

then those outs go directly to one of the alternate source inputs on my monitor controller. when you send out like that from PT, with no return path, their content is obviously not effected by your 2-Buss.... so just put nothing on them and solo-safe them.. .then you can a/b back and forth instantaneously from your mix to the reference track by just alternately enabling the input source selectors on your monitor controller, irrespective of whether or not you have anything solo'ed in your session.

you might also lower the ref tracks by -4 to -6 db since your mix isn't likely already mastered while it's in progress, eh? ;)

Amazing. I will give this a try.

I just bring up import audio and audition material through there BUT

If you have any processing on your master fader it will also be active and present while listening through import audio option. So bypass any master fader plugins before listening through import audio.

This method isn't very conducive to a my (probably any) workflow...