Pterodriver pd-5 vs Seymour Duncan SFX-04 Twin Tube Mayhem

The Rhone

Nov 8, 2006
Bromley, Kent
I was seriously considering getting on of these Seymour Duncan SFX-04 Twin Tube Mayhem but had this curveball thrown my way Pterodriver pd-5 does anyone have any use of it? Or compared the two, none of the shops stock it so unable to test.

A rough idea on how they each sound would be cool?

actually the only ones who know the pd-5 are deLuther and me. this thing is quite common in russia, so maybe you will get some informations of our russian forum mates. the sound of the pd-5 is modeled after an engl screamer, but sounds not quite as good. for the price it's very good though. you can also take the h&k tubefactor/tubeman into consideration. I'm quite suspect about the mayhem beacause the tubes are so small and not replaceable. I'm not so sure wether the sound of the mayhem is all tube!
buy all three and return 2 of them would be my suggestion

I can't really buy all three I don't have the money, but if it's close to an Engl Screamer that's good. Does it have direct recording facilities, or can you only use it through an amp?

OR you can just use impulses ;) Hoehlen, you have an e530 and a Pterodriver, right? How do they compare? (besides the e530 being better, of course)

oh, well I wouldn't suggest using the pd-5 for recording purposes. that should say it all. but than again, if I wouldn't have the e530 I would consider using the pd-5
the e530 is tighter and cleaner, and the pd-5 is more raw and produces some buzz and fizz. the buzz sounds nice and the fizz can be chopped off