Puerto Rican Pina Colada

Acujer

Apr 14, 2008
I'm not sure when you guys are going to PR, but I think it's soon. I used to be an acupuncturist on a 5-Star cruise line and we were in old San Juan once a week for four months. I love Puerto Rico. Interesting place. A Caribbean island that's considered a U.S. Commonwealth, with people that are considered Latino, yet are of African descent.

I know it was at the end of the show and I was pretty buzzed, those beers at the Swap Meet were huge, so I was going on and on about the original Pina Colada there. I think Wanda cared. Maybe she was just being nice. haha I don't know. Mixology and Classic Cocktail history is a hobby of mine.

I realize maybe noone here but me gives a shit about this, but I'm going to type it anyway. I figure it won't waste too much bandwidth.

Obviously if you're not going to Old San Juan, there's no sense in going just to have a Pina Colada, but if you're already going to be there, why not.

There's 2 stories where it was invented.

1) The Piña Colada was introduced on August 15, 1954 at the Caribe Hilton’s Beachcomber Bar in San Juan, Puerto Rico by its alleged creator, Ramon “Monchito” Marrero. This hotel is in Old San Juan still and the bar's new name is Oasis Bar.

2) Berrachina Restaurant in Old San Juan claims to have invented the Pina Colada in 1963 by Ramon Portas Mignot. This is where I would drink them and never had anything quite like it. They're incredible! Good island food too and lots of historical buildings to check out around the place. It's one block from La Fortaleza (The Governor's Mansion). The pic I took here is of the plaque at the entrance.

Another cool spot within walking distance is this graveyard along the ocean.

That would be fun as hell to see you guys there.

Cheers!

You and I spoke about that and I told you that Wanda loves that kind of trivia and we told her about it. Hey, it sounds like the creator is named Ramon either way, so salud to him! We'll have to seek them both out if time allows!! :kickass:Can't wait to go!