Punk/Rock/Hardcore: mix crit needed!

Heabow

More cowbell!
Aug 24, 2011
France
Hey all,

I work with a band now and I'm quite happy with the overall sound but still something bothers me, cannot identify it tho. The thing is I have to mix/master 10 other songs, (what you listen to is the first one) in 3 days so... Can't do miracles but still want to get the best I can.

Please grab the song here.

1. Do you like the overall sound and how it "vibes"?
2. Does the mastering not too pushed/compressed/bright/low to you?
3. Any advice or comment is welcome guys.

Thanks!!!

This mix has too much 27hz myabe 22hz and 3000hz. Most of popular mixes not have so much 3k, but they have much more high frequency( i tried to boost highs but i was only hearing hihat even on 6k) if you cut 3k on while mastering you will end up with dark mix wihtout energy so i think that you must mix it one more time. after 5000hz you have only hihat so its alone and it means that on low budget system you will hear harsh 3k and on some system only hihat(no vocal no kickdrum no snare). Level balance you did good but its not sound like radio ready, so you need to use some eq. Use reference tracks.

Thanks for listening man. So what do you suggest mix wise? Tame a little 3kHz on the drums and/or the guitars? Then maybe raise a bit around 10kHz-ish at hte mastering stage?

Ok. I think you did exagerate a bit just to show me what you had in mind but that's cool.
BTW, I took mainly two song from Sick Of It All and Madsen tends to be generous in the 3-4Khz which I like that's why my mix sounds that way. I raised that frequency area in the master bus and that's too much indeed. I'll work on some elements such as hihats, oh and guitar mainly to let the vocals shine a little more.