Purchasin' a Recording Guitar (And general other studio equipment)

trianglebutt

Feb 22, 2012
tl;dr: I'm putting together a small studio and I need a solid recording guitar. Rough requirements at bottom.

Hello guys, I figured some of you might be able to help me out here. Sorry about the wall of text...

I've decided to seriously pursue recording and audio engineering and perhaps producing. I want to put together a small studio with a focus on using high-quality, reliable gear. Take into consideration I'm sixteen. I don't have the cash to just go all out and grab tons of expensive outboard toys, so my goal is to put together a solid little core setup made up of extremely reliable and high-quality components that I can build upon later. I've made the mistake in the past of buying mid-range gear as soon as I had the cash available which at the time seemed like a wonderful idea. Now I look back and realize that a lot of that mid-range equipment hasn't stood the test of time, and only decreased in value. This time around, I want to purchase equipment that is going to last and be useful in the long run.

I'm beginning with the instruments.

I play guitar and drums. I have some Sonor Force 2007's which aren't very high end, but since the room I'm in isn't especially great I'm not going to be blowing cash on getting high-end drums I can't fully utilize. I'm good at tuning and head selection so for now they will be more than adequate to learn how to record real drums.

Guitar is another matter. What I'm looking for is a versatile guitar I can depend on in a recording situation. I've tried a few guitars but I really don't have any experience recording anything other than my Strat. I'm really uncertain of how certain guitars will hold up when recording. This is where I thought you guys could help out, as many of you have a lot of experience recording different guitars. I have some ideas on what I'm looking for but don't be limited by my "specs". I'd welcome any suggestions.

First of all, I'm definitely set on getting a six string. This is the only thing I think I'm absolutely set on. I'm also not interested in customs. I'd like to keep this under $1000, used.

I'll be recording heavier stuff, usually in dropped tunings. The highest I'd be tuning to is E Standard, and the lowest probably drop G#. One thing I really don't want to have to fuck around with is intonation and tuning. This is probably my biggest concern. This is going to be a workhorse guitar, and needs to be easy to keep in tune and easy to intonate for lower tunings.

Since this needs to be fairly versatile, I'd like something with a pretty balanced tone. That being said it definitely needs to be able to retain clarity in low tunings, so I don't mind sacrificing versatility for clarity. As far as pickups go, I'm pretty open to suggestions. I have a thing for passives, I'm not really a fan of actives at all. I'll definitely replace the stock pickups eventually, but it would be nice if they were solid.

Something I'm pretty torn about is whether or not to look into a baritone. I understand that it would make sense for such low tunings and bring a lot of clarity when recording rhythms. On the other hand, I want this guitar to be used for tracking other musicians. I don't want a scale length they're uncomfortable with. I haven't been able to try one myself though, so I don't even know if it would work for me anyhow.

As far as other specs go:
- I'd really like locking tuners.
- For sure a fixed bridge, NO Floyd Roses or other floating trems.
- I'm a 22 fret person, but I'm open to 24 fret suggestions.
- I don't care too much about aesthetics but I'm definitely don't want any crazy shapes. I'd prefer just a single cut or super strat shape.
- Pickups should be H/H or S/H.

Now, I understand these are pretty general specs that fit a buttload of production guitars out there. I've researched my options, tried a few at GC, and even found a couple I liked. I can only learn so much from research though, because of my inexperience. What I'd really like is some suggestions from experienced people that have actually recorded with the guitars they're suggesting.

In the future I'll probably just use this thread to ask any gear related questions, so expect more haha.

Thanks in advanced!
- Aaron

Yeah, you're right, I should have been more clear. I realize there's not anything available that could possibly work perfectly for that wide a range of tunings, and I realize that nothing is ever going to require zero effort to get tuned and intonated. G# is also pretty unrealistic to expect of a standard scale length six as far as intonation goes. To clarify, I'm looking for a guitar that isn't going to work against me while tuning and intonating, if that makes any sense. No six is going to go down to G# without some serious time and effort put into setting it up correctly, but when I'm putting that effort in I don't want to be fighting the shitty bridge, etc.

Sorry, that was terribly stupid to say.

- Aaron

A seven string can do that.

Pickup a nice seven stringer and you'll be fine for G# and E.

Rondomusic.com has nice ones.

Damn .74 for Drop G? I'm only using .62 for G# and it's not even buzzy or loose. You like it fucking tight man, especially with 27".

I have to say that I think a 7/8 string is an absolutely horrible idea for a studio guitar. A very small percentage of guitarists is going to come in comfortable with using one to begin with, and getting most guitarists to play in-tune, on-time, and with good technique is hard enough without worrying about them adjusting to an entire extra string (or two)

I have to say that I think a 7/8 string is an absolutely horrible idea for a studio guitar. A very small percentage of guitarists is going to come in comfortable with using one to begin with, and getting most guitarists to play in-tune, on-time, and with good technique is hard enough without worrying about them adjusting to an entire extra string (or two)

This is a BIG point. ERG's are pretty specific instruments, not so much an all-around studio guitar solution. The only reason I mentioned my 7 was its scale lengths, but again, multiscales are also not something a large percentage of guitarists would immediately pick up and be comfortable and on-time with. I'd say get a nice 6-stringer that suits as many requirements as you need, and if you record ERGs in the future, let the guitarist bring their own, or buy one if you want one for yourself.

You like it fucking tight man, especially with 27".

Yes, I do. I had a stock set of .60s on it in GA#FA#D#GC, and I got little buzz unless I thrashed hard on the high strings, but the tension with the 8-string-gauge ernie balls is absolutely prime to me, I couldn't get this thing to buzz if I wanted it to. Sounds tight and plays tight, the way I like it. This is just my style/preference.

This is a BIG point. ERG's are pretty specific instruments, not so much an all-around studio guitar solution. The only reason I mentioned my 7 was its scale lengths, but again, multiscales are also not something a large percentage of guitarists would immediately pick up and be comfortable and on-time with. I'd say get a nice 6-stringer that suits as many requirements as you need, and if you record ERGs in the future, let the guitarist bring their own, or buy one if you want one for yourself.

This is pretty much what I'm leaning towards now. The Ibanez RGD seems like it would be a good option, since it has a 26.5" scale which would be easier to adjust to and work for lower tunings. Has anyone had any good/bad experiences with it? Specifically the Edge Zero trem. I'm not a fan of trems and would prefer a hardtail but I'm unsure of the quality of the non-prestige hardtail models. Schecter does have a few options, but so far I have not bonded with any Schecters I've played. The necks just aren't my thing at all.

At this point I guess I'm just looking for hands on experiences, what six strings have really impressed you guys in the studio?

Thanks for the all the replies dudes,
- Aaron

26.5" ought to do you right for most tunings with some good strings. Ibanez and schecters are good guitars in my experience, especially for their price points, though they both have guitars that certainly feel 'cheaper' or lower-quality than others. I can't personally speak to the quality of ibanez trems, I've only had experience with the Gibraltar bridge on the RGAs and the FX EDGE III on the RG2228. I would expect fairly high quality from ibanez, though. Remember that a tremolo can almost double the time it takes to do general maintenance, like changing strings (like everything this gets easier/quicker with practice), but if you feel you need that versatility, then by all means go for it.

That's exactly why I'm weary of a trem, and I never personally use trems anyway. How's the Gibraltar bridge? That seems to be what they're using for the non-prestige RGD hardtail version. I can upgrade tuners and pickups easily but it doesn't seem like there's any drop-in bridge upgrades. Perhaps I should just go for the Prestige and block the trem. Better build quality and if I ever do need a trem it's there.

It's pretty hard to go wrong with a prestige model, if you ask me. The gibraltar bridge is pretty nice, it's fairly cheap and it does its job well. Doesn't look half bad either. I've enjoyed my time with some stock ibanez pickups, but I don't love all of them, in the end I'd probably switch 'em out for something else, depending on the guitar. In the end I think a fairly high-level ibanez or schecter will do you right. There isn't a whole lot of difference between a lot of their guitars in terms of neck dimensions and playability, but that's just my .02 cents worth.

Give it 2 years and djent will be a bygone fad, and deathcore is in it's death throes at the moment - get a quality 6 string instead.

Give it 2 years and djent will be a bygone fad, and deathcore is in it's death throes at the moment - get a quality 6 string instead.

You know, I think we all know what they say about assumptions. Pining for drop G tuning doesn't automatically mean pining for 'djent' or deathcore. Sure, some songs in those genres are in drop G or G#, but don't just assume this guy Aaron is looking for a guitar to play and record deathcore or some microgenre in one particular tuning that is just that - one particular guitar tuning.

Haha, funny the djent and deathcore assumption came up. Neither of those genres are my cup of tea actually, although I'm a fan of Meshuggah. Everything else from that scene is pretty boring and lifeless to me. I'm pretty open minded as far as music goes, especially metal. I like everything from old-school thrash to tech death to nu-metal. I write more alternative metal based on heavy riffing, and I like the way low tunings sound with that sort of stuff. No breakdowns here!

It just might be because of how I read his post, but I believe its a guitar for the OP...

"I'm a 22 fret person, but I'm open to 24 fret suggestions."

Leads me to believe he'll be the one playing it. So... yeah. Whatever.