Purgatory Afterglow guitar sound

spigot

Apr 9, 2004
For me the sound of the lead guitar is what really makes that album. What other bands(related to Dan or otherwise) use this?

Dan Swanö said:
I like to use that kind of leadsound for any band I am in...sometimes it works better. Any special place on the CD you mean??

I don't mean to steal his thunder, but I think Elegy / Black Tears are the songs where the particular guitar sounds of that album are very salient. It's kind of a melodic and sad, yet fast sound.

Actually, it reminds me a little bit of the more poppish guitar sound Sentenced (a very underrated band) pursued over the years with some success.

I was reminded of the sound in Paradise Lost - Gothic. But it's more the drums than the guitar. Also, there are some similarities between the sound in Purgatory Afterglow and The Breathing Shadow.

Yeah... the leads in Twilight/Elegy/Black Tears. I don't particularly like what I've heard of Paradise Lost(Draconian Times) and so I doubt if I'll like gothic either.

spigot said:
Yeah... the leads in Twilight/Elegy/Black Tears. I don't particularly like what I've heard of Paradise Lost(Draconian Times) and so I doubt if I'll like gothic either.

Icon was their best album. But Draconian Times is pretty good. After that... don't bother. But their first 5 albums are all interesting, something interesting in every one (Shades of God was all death metal, for example).