Purposeful Lack of Attention?

S4R

gooey
Sep 7, 2001
.il.us
I have been noticing of late an almost complete lack of attention by the media towards the attack on the Pentagon. I am beginning to wonder if this is being done on purpose. Is the press being forced to focus solely on the World Trade Center attacks, in hopes of the citizens of the United States forgetting that the central hub of our national defense was attacked? Or, am I reading too much into this and it boils down to the fact that the World Trade Center attacks were more horrific, hence that is where the news is. What do you think?

I think both parts play a role. Yes, the WTC attacks were obviously a larger incident, but I also believe the government is embarrassed about the Pentagon being successfully attacked.

You know, I've thought the same thing myself. From day one 99% of the attention was on the world trade center, with very little talk of the pentagon. I don't think they wanted people to catch onto just how much damage was really done to it. It's probably alot worse than they've let on.

Originally posted by Oyo
I'm not sure if the side that was destroyed had already began renovation (let's hope not).
Actually, they had begun renovations on it, but that turned out to be a good thing because they'd moved almost everyone's offices out of that section of the building. Just amazing luck.

But good question, S4R. I'm leaning toward it being simply because the damage was more horrific, but who knows for sure?

Also, deaths at the Pentagon aren't as tragic because they don't seem like "innocent civilians" quite the same as the people in NY. Even though there were of course non-military employees, the Pentagon is part of the government and therefore seems like a valid target, like they should have expected it.

The Onion had a funny article on this. Something like, "Pentagon Attack Makes Page-14 News." :lol:

Originally posted by Lina
Also, deaths at the Pentagon aren't as tragic because they don't seem like "innocent civilians" quite the same as the people in NY. Even though there were of course non-military employees, the Pentagon is part of the government and therefore seems like a valid target, like they should have expected it.

I agree. I would like to reiterate that I believe it to be much more the latter of the two points I suggested.

Originally posted by Lina
The Onion had a funny article on this. Something like, "Pentagon Attack Makes Page-14 News." :lol:

Dammit! I am dieing to see this now, I love The Onion.

Its more embarassing to suffer an attack in a high profile area with what should be the top of the hard level of security, than in the middle of the city...maybe media its trying to avoid mocking the nations security to not cause panic....maybe the goverment bans them of doing such a thing to protect themselves...maybe the incident was indeed much more minor scale...cant decide upon 1 option

-The attack on WTC was on civilians.
-The losses were much higher.
-Pentagon has a culture of silence.

Sorry for the late response, but I just had to say...

OUCH! Huh? Haha...oh, man. That's bad...

I'm just wondering if anyone has thought of how convenient it was that that particular section of the Pentagon just happened to be undergoing renovations. Of course the destruction of the Pentagon isn't going to be all over the news...it's for the purposes of 'national security'. But, one of my coworkers mentioned that when GW was having all of the press conferences (following the 'attack'), there were hardly any military brass there backing him up. So, I think that there probably were some major losses at the Pentagon but they didn't want to mention it because people would have been freaked out by it, what with us going into the 'war against terrorism'.