Putting lyrics to use

flames

New Metal Member
Feb 3, 2008
Hey

I spend a lot of my time writing lyrics, random poetry, verses etc. but don't do anything with them because I'm not in a band. Does anyone know a forum or place where people who are in a band but are looking for someone to write some of their lyrics? I feel my talent for it is a bit of a waste since I'm not great with any musical instrument I've tried. Not sure how else to put them to use.

Thanks

I feel the same way about a lot of the music that I write, since I can't play or sing very well. However, I plan to just keep it on my harddrive until I feel I'm good enough to actually start my own band, at which point I'll be glad I saved it.

As far as a musician specific social networking site, a few people have asked about such a thing before, but as far as I know, nothing like it exists yet, aside from a few sites that connect local musicians only. For now, the best bet is probably the "musicians seeking musicians" sticky.

Hey

I spend a lot of my time writing lyrics, random poetry, verses etc. but don't do anything with them because I'm not in a band. Does anyone know a forum or place where people who are in a band but are looking for someone to write some of their lyrics? I feel my talent for it is a bit of a waste since I'm not great with any musical instrument I've tried. Not sure how else to put them to use.

Thanks
What sort of lyrics do you write?

I feel the same way about a lot of the music that I write, since I can't play or sing very well. However, I plan to just keep it on my harddrive until I feel I'm good enough to actually start my own band, at which point I'll be glad I saved it.

You really don't have to be that good. If you can play the stuff you've written, you'll be fine. You have the ability to write good music, which is far, far better than the ability to shred at 20,000 bpm.

You really don't have to be that good. If you can play the stuff you've written, you'll be fine. You have the ability to write good music, which is far, far better than the ability to shred at 20,000 bpm.
But what if the majority of my good music requires me to shred at 20,000 bpm? :p

By the way, if I had the programming ability and the resources to operate a major scale social networking site, I would have founded connectmusicians.com by now.

From what I heard on your myspace it requires only moderate technicality as far as guitar is concerned.

to flames who prolly will never come back, I would suggest you get musical. Hearing the melodies in your head that express your lyrics is the key to writting great songs.

BM White dude - I think you cut yourself short, in many instances musicians with less ability can be the most creative and write better songs than those diluted by too many influences. If gas was still reasonable I'd suggest you come jam with us a few times, we're just a bunch of hacks that have lots of fun. Thats really what its all about anyhow. Dont quarentine yourself in your room, I have done that, it led nowhere.

not necessarily true. My band's more or less stalled right now, so I've been writing stuff on my own for side projects. I've written 3 full songs in the last 2 weeks or so and have ideas/skeletons for 4 or 5 others. I've been far more productive on my own...

I've done that as well, in fact 50% of my stuff is untouchable, in other words "keep your hands off or die" "not open to interpretation" but at the same time much of my music has come from inspiration of working with others equally enthoused about getting something done. Then another 50% of it would have never been completed without the input from my former song writing partner. Who unfortunantly died last summer, now I have a pile of riffs and passages and lyrics I just cant seem to tie down into a worthy direction. Funny thing is most of its a epic tribute song in dedication to him...... but I cant get it together without him..... what a deal. Give me strenght for this one last battle

I'll get it done, I must, its criteria
Our drummer is stepping up some and working with me on ideas, so I should say we'll get it done.

Totally cool, music dedicated dude, no extreme talent but pretty good old school vocalist with an identifiable voice, decent lyrics, sometimes a bit amature, decent bass player, epic metal to the bone. He had just turned 38, we're all still a bit freaked out about the whole deal. Mysterious circumstances, crazy shit... as you say... heavy, heavy load on all of us. Life and a couple of ass holes got in the way of our music about 12 years ago. Now the drummer and I are dedicated to finish it all on our own. It will be done. Just a CD for us and our friends who were into what we were doing.

No, I might throw something up once we are done but that will be awhile. I wont do anything until its complete and we had.... in '92 :rolleyes: around an hours worth. Now there will be a bit more and we are struggling to relearn and get our abilities, close to par (for us) which is sub par by todays standards and even then for that matter. I believe we had some creativity going for us though, but I draw from way back to hardrock, blues boogie and other influences, those two were younger and had all the metal influences, so its probably a bit directionless to many. Now things are so much easier with computer recording and no need to polish everything perfect before booking studio time and like that. Some of its a pretty extensive memory process, still somewhat primitive, playing beyond the edge of our skills and basically not knowing what we were doing, just going for it. This guy had a bunch of stuff he had done after the fact too that I have demos of I would like to straighten out and get recorded as well. Like I said mainly for us and our friends and finishing a broken dream that left us somewhat empty.

Being how this is a lyric/poetry thread.... we all... friends and Joe and I gave him a heavy metal send off. Was pretty cool funeral for our brother. Others played music, some played songs off CD's as a send off. Joe and I did the acoustic intro to a song he had written. Like I mentioned he was all about music as can be seen in this fraction of the lyrics to this particular song

Bards Quest

The young one traveled on
though the world was cold and gray
follow the path of his destiny
chase the dreams in his mind
let them light the way

look into the hills you can hear the music on the wind
spirits are high as the new day begins
he takes a look down the long and winding road
the whole worlds there before him where would he go

music and life seem to be as one
when you live in the dark away from the sun
moving on the quest has begun
the quest of the minstrel is a song to be sung​

Later I recited this thing I wrote, not for him, actually 7 months earlier, I had no idea I would use it for such a thing. The idea at the time was to get the last word in rather than the preacher but she tricked me. This will be incorperated into this song we are tossing around now, most likely as the same kind of spoken recitation. The tip of the hat to Kansas and Rush are intentional BTW, just incase you notice them.

I Bow Before You

Another brother has passed beyond
dreams wrought Iron gait
No longer bound to worldly things
need not yield … “wait”

Today a fallen soldier
no longer needs to fight
Wield his sword, need not no more
for what he believes is right

I bow before you on this day
all fathers wayward sons
For carry on, it is you must