Q about customs, importing gear

Apr 14, 2010
Germany
I plan to buy something off a friend who lives in the US.
this is going to b a private pruchase.
usuall when I purchased goods from a store in the US, there's some kind of invoice or receipt or something.
this time, there can't be such a thing because it's a private purchase. that means I have no proof for our local customs station about the price I paid my friend and I'm afraid they will charge me the price of that item as "new" like if I bought it in a store. however, the item is not ne but used. do you have any idea what I would have to do? would a copy of the bank transaction be enough?

thanks

When you make an international shipment with most companies (Fedex, UPS etc.) you have to fill out a customs declaration - what the item is, how much it's worth, where it was made etc. They'll also have to put the 'purpose' like if it's a retail sale or a gift etc. which will determine how much customs fees and taxes etc. you'll have to pay. I usually advise people to be honest with the information, you might end up paying more fees but you won't get screwed by customs or insurance if anything goes awry.

You usually don't save that much money importing gear. You have to add VAT in your country + customs tax. In sweden it is roughly adding 30% of the TOTAL price (shipping cost included in total) and the shipping can be quite expensive if you are buying an amp etc.

You usually don't save that much money importing gear. You have to add VAT in your country + customs tax. In sweden it is roughly adding 30% of the TOTAL price (shipping cost included in total) and the shipping can be quite expensive if you are buying an amp etc.

+1 here in the Czech Republic, which is probably very similar to Germany. As far as I know, used or new doesn't matter, it would be hard to judge in many cases anyway. What usually counts is the insurance or a receipt inside, but if the custom officers have suspicion that the declared price is fraudulent, they can check the price in your country.

But to answer your question - if everything is clear to the custom officers, they'll just send the package as COD to you (the price to pay on delivery is the customs tax and VAT), if unsure, they'll contact you. That's how it works in my country.

Greetings to Germany :)

thanks for the answers.
thing is, how can there be a receipt if it's a private person I'm buying from?
can he just write the amount on a pice of paper and sign it?

There should be (or probably MUST be) a declared price right on the customs form, which is attached to the package. As I said, if they are suspicious and can't find a receipt, then they may estimate the price according to the prices in German shops, but unless the declared price is VASTLY lower than the actual one, I don't think it's going to be a problem. You have to take the additional 30% of VAT and customs tax into account, though.

thanks guys.
I've imported gear a few times from the US already so I'm familiar with how my local customs station handles the fees etc.
they have always wanted some kind of proof of the transaction. the customs form was never enough. even when the seller provided an invoice it was never enough, they always asked me for more proof.
so I always showed them a paypal transaction screenshot print.
I'll see how it plays out and if a copy of the bank transaction will suffice since I'm not paying via paypal this time.
thanks for your help.

good idea actually! maybe that way the customs got all they want and can send the package directly to my door without me having to drive to the local customs station.