Creative Rhythm Writing and Importing Drums into Guitar Pro 6

Kool Dude

Dec 17, 2009
Hey, you guys!

So I just started doing a couple tutorial videos on youtube and they're nothing super special, but I hope to add more in the future sharing some things that I've learned about writing music and working with midi and all that stuff.

The first one is all about importing your midi drum track into Guitar Pro 6! Which I think is extremely important to a lot of guitarists out there, as I think many people probably prefer working with the Piano Roll Editor in their favorite DAW as opposed to Guitar Pro's Drum Notation, but unfortunately, Guitar Pro doesn't make it easy for us. Fear no more!

My other tutorial video is a creative approach to writing new rhythm tracks by using things such as permutation, subdividing, and the subtracting of notes. This is really good if you have writer's block and want to come up with something that sounds interesting without investing too much mental energy into it. :)

I have a few others about how I write drums, what cymbals I use and where, how I write fills... mostly for people who aren't too familiar with sequencing drums, as I have no experience actually playing drums (my knowledge is limited compared to those who do play drums) I'm only sharing what I do, but you can find that on the channel as well if you are interested, but I feel the two up there are the ones that a lot of people would really enjoy.

So, if you guys like the videos feel free to subscribe and like it and share it! It's a new-ish channel (old account, but just started uploading content) so it could use some love! :)

Reactions: Sambo007
Drum writing is one of many reasons I hate GP6 and still use GP5. They got rid of tab like drum writing that was pretty essential for me and I can write drum parts pretty fast in It.
Nowadays I mostly record riffs and instruments in DAW and then to GP when song is ready or I want to show it to friends.

I agree! I just saw a post the other day on my Facebook news feed that Arobas is at NAMM this year unveiling Guitar Pro 7. I'm curious as to what changes they are going to make or fix. The only question that whoever runs the GP facebook page responded to was a question about the RSE being upgraded, to which they responded, "yes."

*EDIT*

I take that back. I saw a different post and it looks like they're bringing the Drum tabs back! :)

I wonder how buggy it will be :D
GP5 give errors when doing long copy paste stuff but GP6 takes it to whole new level. My friend was so frustrated when tracks kept randomly be silent. I gave up on it long time ago because of countless bugs and visual / audio out of sync is simply unacceptable.

Hey Kool Dude
Great tutorials man, the one about importing drum midi into guitar pro 6 will come in handy
Cheers