Importing MIDI from TabIt to Reaper

bryan_kilco

Nov 22, 2007
Poconos, PA
I am doing some drum work for a band. They have all the drums tabbed out in TabIt. Only thing is, they have everything doubled....(each kick hit is actually 2 stacked on top, same as snare, and toms).

Tabit%20doubled.jpg

The midi falls out very oddly in the editor.

Reaper%20midi%20issue%201.jpg

Note: the two above images are NOT of the same exact part of the song, just quick screen caps, if it matters.

Of course, I need to slide a few kit pieces around since some of the kit pieces fall on the wrong "notes", but this makes things a bit more difficult to work with.

For some reason, splash cymbals are falling on the same note as crashes.

Is the midi importing strangely because of the doubled notes in TabIt?

It's just sort of hard to work with, having all these long midi notes all over the place.

Do I need to go into TabIt and delete any doubled notes? I've never had this problem before when importing drum midi.

I would say just try deleting the doubled hits. If that doesn't work, maybe ask them to redo their tab. I assume they're not paying you to rework their MIDI

I would say just try deleting the doubled hits. If that doesn't work, maybe ask them to redo their tab. I assume they're not paying you to rework their MIDI

Well, I haven't given them a price yet for the work. It is a little bit more involved than I originally thought, but it's also (potentially, depending on what I quote) my very first paying audio gig. :)

I'll try deleting the doubled notes later on. I can't just "select all" and remove just the one line; I have to manually click onto each damn note and hit SPACE.

I'm not even sure if it's the doubled notes, but it won't hurt to try and eliminate that as a possibility. To be honest, I've never seen this happen before.

Ok, small update on this for anyone who may give a shit.

The doubled notes DO play a part..... It is not noticeable when everything is 100% to grid, but if I humanize timing by something like 3%, it totally fucks with the phase. If I get rid of the doubled notes, this problem goes away.

Also - in TabIt's Track Properties, disabling "Let notes ring" sort of helps with the notes being all long and butted up against each other.

But this means I still have to go through every single doubled note and delete them. One by one. =/

EDIT: Found a work around for these goddamn double notes. In TabIt, each staff line is "0", so I can just change the staff line with doubled notes to a blank "note" and they fall out in Reapers midi editor and I can select all and delete. Getting pretty ghetto here.