REAPER & MIDI

ABBIBNevin

New Metal Member
Jan 27, 2011
I'm trying to program drums so that I can start laying down some guitar tracks, problem is, MIDI drums aren't playing through Reaper. Whenever I imported a MIDI file into Mixcraft, it played just fine. I read somewhere else on this forum where someone had the same problem, and even after I switched all the notes to channel 1 instead of 10, the notes still wont play. What can I do to fix this?

And to follow up that question, is there any free software or plugins that will let me do drum sound replacing? I haven't found any.

Thanks.

sounds like you changed channels. not notes.

You may want to try rearranging the way they're mapped in the piano roll. That kick pattern on C4 may need to be on C3. Select, drag, play. I constantly have this problem when importing MIDI from another source into reaper.

And yes, Reaper has it's own drum replacer. It's just not in all the stock plugins. Do a little googlin'.

CC messages?

Also Dave I'm importing from Guitar Pro. All the notes seem to match up, for instance a kick drum is #36 in both GP and Reaper. Channel is set to 1, still not hearing anything :\

I'm download MDrummer Small right now to see if it will help me, if not I'll try looking for Reaper's drum replacer like you mentioned, thanks!

I'd like to know how I could get the midi files themselves play in Reaper, if that's possible (using the stock windows synths would be ok). But I don't know how to do that - you need some sort of a drum VSTi to play the midi file.

As stated several times on this forum, you need to delete all the non-note events, specially when importing a MIDI from GuitarPro.
Double-click the MIDI item, press ALT+3, delete all the events before the first note event (you can use "shift + left click" to make the selection easier).

Fama, yes, that's exactly what I'm trying to do.

MindMunch, okay, I deleted all of those CC messages and anything that isn't a Note. All notes are on channel 1, the midi notes are matching up as I mentioned above, and still no sound. What now?

None. Like I said from the start, I just want Reaper to play the MIDI straight from an import, just like Mixcraft did. If this isn't possible then tell me, ahah.

And also is Drum ReaPlacer the program you were talking about? I found it but I have to copy and paste some files into folders from Reaper, which I don't think I have. Maybe cause I'm on the trial version still?

You need drum VSTi if you want to hear anything dude. That's like asking why you can't hear your guitar at your bands concert when you don't have an amp! Reaper needs to know what sounds to play when and a VSTi is what plays those samples.

No offense, but this reminded me of an old story about a guy who called tech support cause his computer wasn't working, so after about half an hour of troubleshooting, the IT guy told him to check if it was plugged, he said he can't see cause it's dark, and when he was told to turn the lights on he said he can't cause the power was down.

hahaha seriously though, just remembered that, don't mean any offense at all.

but yeah that's not possible, you need a vsti (or sampler) to get reaper to play midi, it won't play anything by it's own

Thanks guys, a friend told me today that Mixcraft has its own samples and that's why it can play MIDI directly.