Q:Asgeir

JColtrane

Jan 11, 2004
Duke University
I was wondering(since you are listed in the Thank You's) what you thought about Extol's new album Synergy. Have you done a review on it? I would especially like to know what you think about the drumming. Also, do you drum on any of the tracks for the new Spastic Ink album? Because I think on the Spiral Architect site it says that you did drums for one of the songs, but it doesn't say anything about it on the Spastic Ink site.

David Husvik is one of my favorite drummers. I like his work on "burial" and the 3 song ep that came out after that.

But my fav drummer from norway is probably Czar (aka carl michael eide?)

He was in Ved Buens Ende...Cadaver Inc.

Hi,
I've been an Extol fan since their demo and actually helped them getting a deal on Century Media. I helped them getting exposure in Scream Magazine in Norway, etc etc... I think their new album is pretty good but I guess my favourite is the first album. David is a good drummer but he does like Mike Portnoy: Play the same thing over and over.

I was supposed to do a song for Spastic Ink and even started rehearsing it and booked studio. Ron wanted to send tapes back and fourth and suddenly I was buried under so much work I didn't have time for the Spastic Ink song. It just faded away really. I always told Ron that I was the backup. I wanted Bobby to do all the drums. He's the king!

Thanks for asking.

- Asgeir

asgeir said:
Hi,
I've been an Extol fan since their demo and actually helped them getting a deal on Century Media. I helped them getting exposure in Scream Magazine in Norway, etc etc... I think their new album is pretty good but I guess my favourite is the first album. David is a good drummer but he does like Mike Portnoy: Play the same thing over and over.

I was supposed to do a song for Spastic Ink and even started rehearsing it and booked studio. Ron wanted to send tapes back and fourth and suddenly I was buried under so much work I didn't have time for the Spastic Ink song. It just faded away really. I always told Ron that I was the backup. I wanted Bobby to do all the drums. He's the king!

Thanks for asking.

- Asgeir
No problem, thanks for replying. Burial is my favorite album by Extol also. See, I can't even comprehend what you guys are playing in the first place, so I wouldn't know whether you are doing the same thing over and over again or not. It's just too complex to remeber the pattern! Again, thanks for replying, and I am looking forward to listening to the new Vintersorg and Borknagar(and eventually Spiral Architect).

I was wondering, is basically what Portnoy does is keep a 4/4 with his hands and the actual song rythm with his feet? B/c that is what it seems like to me, and that is a tad repetitive.

I have the last 2 albums and I like thrashier Synergy although Undeceived is quite varied( some songs are to long more death growls there)
What is the style of the first album?

The first album is more technical and really really heavy. Also the production is killer, i've never heard an album that sounds like Burial. Some of it is sung in norweigan, and there is also a flute on one song. Its pretty varied, lots of different styles from folk to thrash to black metal to classic heavy metal.

Highly recommended.