Quality Plugins vs. Poopy Plugins

cloy26

d00d
Jul 17, 2009
Port St. Lucie, FL
www.myspace.com
So I'm starting to learn more and more about different comps, eqs, etc. and that they sound differently. Well, how different do they sound? I am interested in maybe getting a few decent go-to plugins, but don't want to make a mistake. Like everyone recommends the 1176 over this certain whatever. Also, does anyone have any shootouts between different compressors to see how much of a difference they make on a drum buss, master buss, vocals, etc. with the same settings... Sorry if this has been covered 100 times. :dopey:

edit: I just googled comp shootout lol, but if any sneap guys have done something like this, post the link.

I don't know how closely they model the originals, or what other people in the "biz" think of them, but for free plugins and comp experimenting, look at the Antress Modern plugins.

I don't use them on anything generally, but I know they have a boatload of vintage emulating plugins.

I have used the Modern Deathcore (Distressor emu) plugin and liked the results...But I ended up going with the Nasty VCS since it can get dirtier.

screw being poor man!...you need Waves. SSL bundle and Musicians 2 Bundle are a good start.

of course, you have the McDSP's EQs are awesome, and the analog channel emulations. and the Softubes are great too and Sonnox.

i would stay away from anything else...

Well a lot of the "usuals" are carried over from hype on the internet and among engineers. You definitely don't "need" waves and such these days if you are good about working on your source.

The reality is that everybody has preferences. So there is really no way to do this until you do the tests yourself and learn the character of every plug or piece of hardware. That's why every plugin maker has demos and hardware has return policies. There is just no way to know.

On the cheap (or not) I can't say enough great things about Stillwell plugins. They are very affordable and right up there with anything out there. Voxengo's stuff is some of the best and affordable as well.

But there are TONS of free offerings these days. Bootsie (variety of sound) stuff is excellent. Kjaerhus classic series stuff I use all the time. Digitalfishphones blockfish and endophin are excellent. I use dominion all the time. Gvst's stuff is good too.

As a "goto" compressor I like something clean first. I don't like an 1176-esque or Distressor-esqe sound on most things and you really to use one to know what I mean. Also I don't crush drum busses enough to bring out that extra color anyway. Just enough to bring out more room or more punch. But look that the Reaper plugins too, Reacomp is very good. Also the EQ is good too. Or even built-in stuff, at least give it a try. I find myself using Cubase's built in stuff more and more. Low CPU usage, clean, and just does what it is supposed to.

Also every source is different. Over time I have learned how to listen or run a new plug or hardware through its paces, make a mental note of its characteristics and then remember when I think it will apply to a source. And I rarely pick it the first time, but these days I don't get much beyond 3 tries. All depends on the mix. But with good sources, you just want to control dynamics really.

You just have to try and listen for yourself. But really focus on your source first and it won't matter much really. I have heard lots of pro and well selling albums that used all stock plugins, but good sources.... and most importantly... good songs.

i like Plugs, that sound good, get results FAST and dont kill my Cpu
Metric halo Channel strip, waves SSL, waves CLA, SOnnox Eq (although i find most other sonnox plugs WAAAY to complicated) Mcdsp Analog Channel and Massey Td5 generally work well for me

Yeah, but I bet your wallet doesn't. I am a poor student with minimal income. :)

http://www.reaper.fm/reaplugs/index.php
http://varietyofsound.wordpress.com/
http://www.digitalfishphones.com/
http://www.voxengo.com

All good stuff for free.

My choices are:
Strip/Pre: Nasty VCS (Variety Of Sound)
Comp: ReaComp (Cockos) and Density (Variety Of Sound)
2bus comp: Density (Variety Of Sound)
MultiComp: ReaxComp (Cockos)
EQ: ReaEQ (Cockos)
Noise Gate: ReaGate (Cockos)
Drums noise gate: BlockFish (Digital Fishphone)
De-Esser: SpitFish (Digital Fishphone)
Reverb: EpicVerb (Variety Of Sound)
Delay: ReaDelay (Cockos)
Noise reduction: ReaFIR (Cockos)
Spectrum Analyzer: Span (Voxengo)

The things that I still miss for free are:
A good brickwall limiter (I use Elephant) and a good vocal pitch plugin (I use Melodyne).