QUEEN: Should they have called it a day?

The Winnipeg Warrior

The Winnipeg Warrior ®
IMO, when Freddy Mercury died of AIDS in 1991.....and his Tribute Concert was performed the following year.....that should have been it for the band. One of the greatest bands in history were short one founding member. And like the Who's Keith Moon, Led Zeppelin's John Bonham, and Thin Lizzy's Phil Lynott.....you can't replace an icon. One with talent especially.

Anyone who saw Queen back in the day knew that they were witnessing greatness. I was extremely fortunate to have seen them back in 1980 and 1982. People can say what they want about him.....but he 'was' the KING!

But that was then, and this is now. I don't know how long this 'Queen + Paul Rodgers' pairing will last. They say it's for the fans. But I think it's moreso for Brian May.....as he's never seemed to accept the death of Mercury and the end of Queen. This may be therapeutic for him, I don't know. But unlike Roger Taylor.....Queen is all he's ever known.

IMO, the true essence of the band is no more.....but their music will live on forever.

050lk.jpg

The Phil Lynott and Freddy Mercury occasions are a lot different than the Keith Moon and Bonham ones (singers - drummers). The fact that there is a band out there now called "Thin Lizzy" that gave concerts under that name, is an absolute disgrace, however if Led Zeppelin reunited with another drummer, it would not be that bad. And about Freddy Mercury..it's just the "it will never work with any other singer" case.

For me Queen and Freddy Mercury will be forever. I was raised on their music. That kind of preformance he made was one and unique. Trough all these years they recorded many great songs. Always with spirit of time and events that happened on world.

well, I guess Queen without Freddy is not really Queen anymore...
But if to look from other side - Queen was not only Mercury...

MetalTuup said:
I also like it with Paul Rogers. A lat more that with George Michael or Five (what a crap)

hehe yeah. no replacement for Freddy...

Well, I recently saw Paul Rodgers/Queen, and it was pretty damn awesome. That's all I have to say (not really). Bohemian Rhapsody almost brought a tear to my eye.

Seingrinder said:
Bohemian Rhapsody almost brought a tear to my eye.

yes... this is amazing song... especially the momemt of "Mama! oooohh-ooooh-ooohhh. I dont wana die..." - that really makes me cry....

i saw this tribute concert on tv when i was zapping...
at first i didn't recognize taylor... he looked very old...
and i remember him, when he was playing a duett with yoshiki (ex-x japan) in the 90's... a brilliant song *nod*

The Winnipeg Warrior said:
IMO, when Freddy Mercury died of AIDS in 1991.....and his Tribute Concert was performed the following year.....that should have been it for the band. One of the greatest bands in history were short one founding member. And like the Who's Keith Moon, Led Zeppelin's John Bonham, and Thin Lizzy's Phil Lynott.....you can't replace an icon. One with talent especially.

Anyone who saw Queen back in the day knew that they were witnessing greatness. I was extremely fortunate to have seen them back in 1980 and 1982. People can say what they want about him.....but he 'was' the KING!

But that was then, and this is now. I don't know how long this 'Queen + Paul Rodgers' pairing will last. They say it's for the fans. But I think it's moreso for Brian May.....as he's never seemed to accept the death of Mercury and the end of Queen. This may be therapeutic for him, I don't know. But unlike Roger Taylor.....Queen is all he's ever known.

IMO, the true essence of the band is no more.....but their music will live on forever.

050lk.jpg

Queen without Freddie is NOT Queen. Trying to replace him is a travesty. Once Freddie died that was it.

i agree, going to their concert now would be like going to a Bad Company concert covering queen songs, its just not worth it.