Queensryche - Operation Mindcrime II

Psychonaut

God Of Emptiness
Nov 29, 2002
Second left after Wal-Mart
Visit site
I just read this and I have to admit, I'm a bit worried. Their records haven't been as good for years and I hope they are not slapping the OM name on a record just to bolster sales, which surely it will do. I would looooove to hear a well-done OM II but the real qestion remains; does the band have it in them? This is brave of them to attempt this at this point in their careers. Don't get me wrong, I would absolutely love for them to release one more classic but I do have some reservations. Anyway, here's the article and an excellent reason for me to see them on tour!

The following press release has been issued by Sanctuary Records regarding QUEENSRYCHE's upcoming tour and details around the sequel to their legendary album, Operation: Mindcrime:

Art rock pioneers Queensryche will perform the classic album Operation: Mindcrime in its entirety on the upcoming fall 2004/winter 2005 tour, which is being presented by VH1 Classic. A greatest hits set will open each show, and at the end of the night there will be a preview of the upcoming Sanctuary Records release Operation: Mindcrime II, the working title of the long-awaited, eagerly desired sequel to the groundbreaking concept album. Audiences will be blown away by the Surround Sound audio setup on the tour.

Vocalist Geoff Tate, guitarist Michael Wilton, guitarist Mike Stone, bassist Eddie Jackson and drummer Scott Rockenfield will open each show with a greatest hits set ending with the smash 'Silent Lucidity'. Local orchestra string sections will perform with the band in select cities. Michael Igor Delassandra, formerly an official composer for the Vatican, will accompany Queensryche and perform on keyboards.

“The band is so excited to be performing 'Operation:mindcrime' in its entirety again after not having done this in 15 years," says Tate. "We are presenting it in a whole new way that finally does justice the intricacies of the story and the personalities of the characters.”

Operation: Mindcrime will be recreated in full with enhanced production. Live actors will embody the fascinating characters of this chilling tale - interacting both on stage and off. Vocalist Pamela Moore, who toured with Queensryche recently, will be back to provide the vocals of the album's pivotal character, Sister Mary. New video footage will be incorporated as well. Queensryche also performed Operation: Mindcrime in its entirety in 1990-91, but this time around new and expanded video footage will be used. Fans who saw the show in 1990-91 will enjoy a more vivid experience this time.

One of the most exciting parts of each concert will certainly be the finale - the preview of Operation: Mindcrime II. Fans have wanted a sequel ever since Operation: Mindcrime exploded and earned the band critical acclaim and commercial success. In particular, fans have always asked one burning question in relation to the Operation: Mindcrime' plot: Who killed Sister Mary? The new album, scheduled for release in 2005, will address that question.

Same again, I don't see how they can match that or even come close given the material they have released over the past few years. Takes balls to even attempt though, I'll give 'em that.

Let's pray the Godz of Metal they bring us some good stuff now, otherwise they probably will be crushed , burried and forgotten about...

Hehe, I'm with you guys, no way in hell am I getting my hopes up for this. Lets just hope they don't rape the name of that awesome album too badly. ;)

Queensryche are nothing but a bunch of losers living off their better past!
Just like Shitallica releases St.Anger and then plays mere 2-3 new songs live and the others mainly from the 80s...I wonder why... :D
They issued several shitty albums after Empire and guess what - they've gone back to the whole OM performance, because they understood that's what people want to hear and not their alter crap. Lamers...

OK.....When i read the news, me and my friend Mike were screaming and jumping like little school girls that just got asked to the prom. We hold this album in EXTREMELY high regard, as many do, particularly myself. This is my favorite album of all time. Nothing is above it, not even the mighty Judas FUCKING Priest(one of my other all time favorites) have topped O:M. This is now my number one most anticipated thing EVER right now. Then, i remembered, Queensryche haven't really put out an album that can be considered "great" or very, very good" since Promised Land(i loved Promised Land, so sue me). I AM worried, and i hope they treat it with care, as it's the sequel to one of the greatest albums ever made.

Well I love the OM record almost as much as you do my friend, but I prefer not to have such high expectations about this sequel..... you know what can happen when you expect too much from a band :erk:

Fangface said:
Well I love the OM record almost as much as you do my friend, but I prefer not to have such high expectations about this sequel..... you know what can happen when you expect too much from a band :erk:
I'm trying not to, dude. But it's so hard when it has the words "Operation:Mindcrime " in it, y'know? I am just so afraid that they're gonna fuck this up. Had they done this around the time of Empire or Promised Land, i'd be more at ease, but now.......:erk:

OM II is probably going to suck (Sorry, Pessimist) BUT I'm excited for the tour and listening to all of O:M live + a greatest hits set. *drools* That's goin' to rock.

I pretty much feel like the majority of you have already expressed...OM is just a monster of a release, a classic in it's own right and a masterpiece to boot, and at this point to do an OM 2 for the Q is a bit frightening...no good releases in years and it is hard to top an almost perfect album. I wish them the best of luck...if they can actually pull this off more power to them and well that would be another killer record in out collections :yow: ..I'll be watching for this one...

Psychonaut said:
I just read this and I have to admit, I'm a bit worried...

...“The band is so excited to be performing 'Operation:mindcrime' in its entirety again after not having done this in 15 years," says Tate.
And the Republicans say Kerry flip-flops!!!! Holy (EXPLETIVE DELETED)!!! From every comment I've read (which has been admittedly few because Qr lost me years ago after the commercial success of EMPIRE), Tate has been getting as far away from their classic melodic/atmospheric/prog metal roots as he possibly can. I guess sales have sagged enough for long enough they've finally realized they've sucked for almost a decade. I'll believe all this when I see/hear it, but I most likely won't ever believe it's genuine..

NP: Enchant - BLINK OF AN EYE: "Under Fire"

In short, the odds of Ryche putting out a high quality record is low at best.
Now when they drop names like MINDCRIME, just to get the attention of those have
strayed?! With Tribe they got as close as they could, with trying to get Chris back in the band, what a tease. I think had the record been solid they'd still have some of their "legendary" reputation intact. Since the record tanked, in a big way, I think
they should have enough damn pride & pull the plug on the band. They have nothing valid to say these days & have become, "just another band from the 80's."
I had a great deal of pride, when I was looking at their display in the Experience Music Project. I saw some killer stuff from their past, Mindcrime era drums, guitars, ect. I got thinking about once was, I NEVER thought about was current is.
It's sad really.
SIXXSWINE

It won't be as good as O:M, and I can accept that. But if they plan on actually putting effort and making a damn good album out of this, they need to take the first important step:
Get Chris DeGarmo back in the band, for real. Or at least let him write on it. Its not full-proof (look at Tribe...), but it would definatly help out and give some hope.