question about alternate picking

when I get tension, I start to get frustrated because I cannot pick fluidly with it. I start to miss notes, and hit other strings, then I give up.

Also how do you guys practice going up and down the fretboard smoothly? I go slow at 80 bpm 16th notes and I get tense and cannot go up and down the fretboard without missing notes or hitting other strings, or hitting the note at the wrong time.

bball_1523 said:
when I get tension, I start to get frustrated because I cannot pick fluidly with it. I start to miss notes, and hit other strings, then I give up.

Also how do you guys practice going up and down the fretboard smoothly? I go slow at 80 bpm 16th notes and I get tense and cannot go up and down the fretboard without missing notes or hitting other strings, or hitting the note at the wrong time.

Try working your way into it. Start by double picking one note really fast then move on by adding more. If you find that you can't do a single note properly then u might want to change your style a bit. Thats really important.......don't ever be happy with your style if it limits you in any way.

Eternal Dragon said:
Try working your way into it. Start by double picking one note really fast then move on by adding more. If you find that you can't do a single note properly then u might want to change your style a bit. Thats really important.......don't ever be happy with your style if it limits you in any way.

I think I have a problem with some stretches too and different parts of the fretboard. For example, if I am picking on the low e string and am doing a 3 note pattern (7-9-10), I feel comfortable doing it at a reasonable pace. Then when I go up to the b string and play (15-17-19), I feel very uncomfortable and my playing gets really sloppy. But if I play on the b string and play a 3 note pattern, it feels easier for me.

Valgeir said:
You're going too fast. Slow down. If your left hand is the problem, work on that, if your right hand is the problem, work on that.

yeah you're right. I just have no motivation to really go slow, I get so hasty and anxious that I give up too early and go on speed runs, even if I can't do it smoothly.

Valgeir said:
I know what that's like, but trust me, it's worth it. Besides, a lick sounds more badass clean at 140 than sloppy at 180.

yeah man, I went to a College Jazz concert last night and saw a couple guys around my age soloing and I felt so ashamed because I am not even half as good as them and I've been playing for nearly four years.

It's all about the practice you put in. If you have Power Tab Editor I'll write up my picking routine for you and you can check it out if you want, maybe you'll be able to use it.

when I alternate pick I use a combination of finger, wrist, forarm and circular picking techniques....

the all work well individually, but when I combine them in certain instances I can pick up incredible speed....