Question about copyright

Oct 27, 2007
Montreal, Canada
Hi guys,

I recently did a blues cover of the song ''Enter Sandman'' by Metallica. I basically used the vocals track off the rock band rips and composed a blues song around the main riff. I wanted to put it on youtube with a link to my website, but then I wondered if it was okay if I put a song on the internet and use it for publicity when there is the vocals of another band in it.

So is it legal or not? And is there a way I can pay the copyright to use the vocals?

Thanks!

The short answer is no it's not legal-- by definition the rockband rips are an infringed copyright in the first place. Of course what you are talking about is a 30 year debate about the legitimacy of sampling in general. Probably the worst thing that would happen is youtube would take down the video.

I'm in a parody band which does lots of covers with changed lyrics. Many of these songs are on internet, youtube.... Few of them were erased, but the rest still remain, and I'm not in jail, so if I were you, I would do it.
If someone doesn't like, they will erase that song or kill your dog.
There are tons of copyright violations on Youtube.

But please, if you do it and they catch you, don't say that I encouraged you and never say my name not even under torture.