Question about drum buss routing!

Sep 20, 2009
Helsinki Finland
soundcloud.com
Hey!

Im curious about drum routings you guys usually do? There isn't really too much talk in generally concerning basic or more advanced buss routings people do.

I have my favorite setup that is (in reaper):

Snare (snare top and snare bottom in this one)
Kick
OH
HH
Room
Toms
Snare verb

I send those all to a drumbuss, that has a compressor.

Then i send separately Kick and Snare to a more squashed track that i parallel compress in side of the drumbuss, then blend to taste.

Theres also a drumverb channel that receives signal from drumbuss. Those three channels, drumbuss, kick and snare parallel with drumverb, make the base of my routing.

Know, i know this might be totally different than your's and that's excactly what i'd be interested to know, what have you guys found out the most efficient way that you tend to always use?

Worth a penny, but as a reference what that setup is capable, this is a short clip of metalmachine drums and axe-fx II

Last edited by a moderator:
Bro, keep doing what you're doing; those drums sound sick!

But I'd set up mine similar.

Drum Bus (and inside that I have):
Kick Bus - Kick (raw) - Kick (Trig) - Snare Bus - Snare (top) - Snare (btm) - Snare (Trig) - Tom Bus - Tom 1 - Tom 2 ....and so on. I use Folders in Reaper for the "Busses" because it helps keep things organized and easier to control volumes of pieces. I haven't really mixed anything seriously in about a year, so I forget some little tricks I used to do. And now that I think of it, my method may be strange since the "Drum Bus" is a folder with every other bus and kit piece inside it.

Thanks a lot man!

I've actually enjoyed the metalmachine kit quite a bit, doesn't really need sampling as far my need goes!
Haha, refresh your memory and record something! ;) I use folders for our bands upcoming album mixing because yeah, tracks will be everywhere then. I've actually done kick and snare triggering by copying the snr top and in mic of kick, and then applying the trig on those, then mixed the natural drums to sound as i'd wish then to work with the trig or the sampled trig hits from the kit. Then apply trigger on those original natural drumtracks somwhat 50/50 with the samples taken from the kit, then applying the samples out of the kit to the duplicated tracks, and blended/mixed them to work together. Actually working pretty good! But that's just in the real drum projects :)

My most common set up is something like this depending on the size of the kit but it is always a variation of this in some form.

Kick in (to kick group)
Kick out (to kick group)
Kick distance (to kick group)
KICK GROUP (to KSTH)
Snare top (snare group)
Snare bottom (snare group)
SNARE GROUP (KSTH)
Tom 1 (KSTH)
Tom etc... (KSTH)
HH (KSTH)
Ride (to cymbals)
OHL (cymbals)
OHR (cymbals)
Room L (to room)
Room R (room)
Room mono (room)
Kick, Snare, Tom, Hi hat (= KSTH) group (to drums buss)
Cymbals group (drums buss)
Room group (drums buss)
DRUMS BUSS

I have a small dead tracking room so I also add an extra 'room' buss to 'extend' my room length so I have these two reverb sends set up.

DRUMS ROOM
DRUMS PLATE

Cheers,
Nigel.

This is the basic gist of how I route things.

Tracks:
Kick - Kick Aux and Drum Bus
Snare - Snare Aux, Drum Reverb, Drum Bus
Toms - Tom Bus, Tom Aux, Maybe Drum Reverb, Drum Bus
Hi Hat - Drum Bus
Overheads - Drum Bus
Room - Drum Bus

Aux:
Snare Aux - Parallel compression, but most of the time I pick a blendable comp and put it on the snare track.
Kick Aux - same as the snare aux, either aux out for parallel or pick a blendable comp
Tom Aux - same as kick and snare
Drum Reverb Aux - plates or some shit

Bus:
Tom Bus - I send all the toms to this to side chain them to the kick and snare
Drum Bus

Sometimes I'll aux out the entire drum bus and parallel compress the whole drum mix.

Nice work. Can you share your reaper template?

Love to help, but honestly those templates never work if you don't have the exact same plugins that i have... It'll be like a 1000 piece puzzle exploded on walls and you have to assemble it. But i can share it no problem.

Actually i've done some "improvements" already, maby... so decide which one you want, i'll add the latest under the old clip.

This is the basic gist of how I route things.

Tracks:
Kick - Kick Aux and Drum Bus
Snare - Snare Aux, Drum Reverb, Drum Bus
Toms - Tom Bus, Tom Aux, Maybe Drum Reverb, Drum Bus
Hi Hat - Drum Bus
Overheads - Drum Bus
Room - Drum Bus

Aux:
Snare Aux - Parallel compression, but most of the time I pick a blendable comp and put it on the snare track.
Kick Aux - same as the snare aux, either aux out for parallel or pick a blendable comp
Tom Aux - same as kick and snare
Drum Reverb Aux - plates or some shit

Bus:
Tom Bus - I send all the toms to this to side chain them to the kick and snare
Drum Bus

Sometimes I'll aux out the entire drum bus and parallel compress the whole drum mix.

Seems like people go fairly light on the routing in overall, based on these few posts here, i think it's interesting as i've also read about people squashing the shit out of everything drumwise with comps and
para-comps and all.

Love to help, but honestly those templates never work if you don't have the exact same plugins that i have... It'll be like a 1000 piece puzzle exploded on walls and you have to assemble it. But i can share it no problem.

Actually i've done some "improvements" already, maby... so decide which one you want, i'll add the latest under the old clip.

Thanks, i like more the first clip, yeah i know but maybe i can change with my plugins to achieve a closer sound, love your drum sound...

Fuc* !! Osx here, only missing gclip and rocket compressor but waves do not open because i just installed au not vst, worthless ...

I appreciated anyway, thanks for your time