Drum routing

Heabow

More cowbell!
Aug 24, 2011
France
Hey

Curiosity about your way of routing for the drums? Does it depend on the project or not at all?

I personally always create a kick buss, snare buss, toms buss, cymbals buss and a room buss. All these busses go to a drum buss. Pretty classic I guess.
I also used to create a few extra busses for reverbs, distortion, etc. that were send directly to the master buss. But I now send these ones to the drum buss.

Actually.... i do it the exact way you do. Sometimes I'll just group the kick or o/h mics and send them to the main drum buss instead of their own, but if I'm layering a bunch of samples and stuff I'll have separate busses. Then usually one for parallel comp.

You also send your fx busses to the drum buss? I was wondering about that for a while but it seems more logical to me to do so and tends to sound better if I put a compressor on the drum buss as all the effects are affected by it.

Yeah your FX (verb especially) should go through the drum bus. If your verb doesn't, and you turn the drum bus down, then your wet/ dry ratios will be off.

I personally always create a kick buss, snare buss, toms buss, cymbals buss and a room buss. All these busses go to a drum buss. Pretty classic I guess.
I also used to create a few extra busses for reverbs, distortion, etc. that were send directly to the master buss. But I now send these ones to the drum buss.

I do that exactly the same way, hasn't failed me yet. Same with the reverbs et al.

Yeah your FX (verb especially) should go through the drum bus. If your verb doesn't, and you turn the drum bus down, then your wet/ dry ratios will be off.

What I do is use sends for all that and make them pre-fader to avoid that issue. Then I can also just link the *whichever bus I'm sending to it* track to it if I need to adjust both of their volumes together.

My template: kick buss, snare buss, toms buss, cymbals buss and a room buss. Kick, snare, toms and room busses send to drum buss1. drum buss1 got compresion and limiting and is send into parallel compression. Than drum buss1, cymbals buss going into drum buss2 for minor tweaking, saturation and clipping.

The goal is the cymbals are not affected by buss/parallel compression. I fucking hate pumping cymbals!