question about Great Divide.

Sep 6, 2006
every so often i noticed a random section that sounded like "Father of Hate" (Galactic Backward Movements, Blood & Passion kinda). is there a connection between the two albums, are you guys just really fond of that particular guitar line, or am i just a deluded fool? >_>

every so often i noticed a random section that sounded like "Father of Hate" (Galactic Backward Movements, Blood & Passion kinda). is there a connection between the two albums, are you guys just really fond of that particular guitar line, or am i just a deluded fool? >_>

The "Father of Hate" quote in Rich's solo in "Galactic Backward Movements" was one of those little examples of pastiche that was just very apropos (along with a quote of "The Rite of Spring" in "Subliminal Delusions" and "Beethoven's 5th" in "Blood and Passion"). If you listen to the rhythm of the next riff Rich plays, he surreptitiously quotes the Mario Brothers theme. I remember sitting in the chair next to him as he was thinking of ideas on what to do with a solo, and the jokes that we came up with actually wound up sticking. It's awesome that you picked up on it! Where was the one in "Blood and Passion"? Maybe it's in there too and I forgot or it was subconscious.

The "Father of Hate" quote in Rich's solo in "Galactic Backward Movements" was one of those little examples of pastiche that was just very apropos (along with a quote of "The Rite of Spring" in "Subliminal Delusions" and "Beethoven's 5th" in "Blood and Passion"). If you listen to the rhythm of the next riff Rich plays, he surreptitiously quotes the Mario Brothers theme. I remember sitting in the chair next to him as he was thinking of ideas on what to do with a solo, and the jokes that we came up with actually wound up sticking. It's awesome that you picked up on it! Where was the one in "Blood and Passion"? Maybe it's in there too and I forgot or it was subconscious.

i actually didn't notice the "Beethoven's 5th" thing until just now, nor the mario brothers tribute right after the Father of Hate shoutout. then again i haven't played a mario game in foreeever. rofl

also, after i made that post, i kind of did a double take in my head to the "blood and passion" bit and had myself listen to the part a few times, and i think i just got the riff confused with something earlier in A Great Divide. it was about five and a half minutes into it or so, and lasted about a minute.

listening to it now. yeah, i'm pretty sure i just got it mixed up with the part earlier in the album. oooops. sorry >_>

I noticed the Beethoven's 5th thing right off the bat. Interesting bit about the Mario theme though.

In "Galactic Backward Movements" there seem to be a plethora of riffs that seem so familiar to me but not identifiable. One thing I picked up on was right when the solo starts (well, it's more of a repeated lead there) around 3:55 the first 4 notes remind me of this oft-used pattern by Dave Mustaine. I've heard a lot of solos that he just seemingly copied from himself from 20 years back though.

The melody, when the song kicks in around 2:57, seems to be undeniably the lead melody from "Tom Sawyer" by Rush. Was this one intentional as well?

Funny to me how you cite both Beethoven and Stravinsky here, as my meager Classical folder contains just them and Mozart.

I noticed the Beethoven's 5th thing right off the bat. Interesting bit about the Mario theme though.

In "Galactic Backward Movements" there seem to be a plethora of riffs that seem so familiar to me but not identifiable. One thing I picked up on was right when the solo starts (well, it's more of a repeated lead there) around 3:55 the first 4 notes remind me of this oft-used pattern by Dave Mustaine. I've heard a lot of solos that he just seemingly copied from himself from 20 years back though.

The melody, when the song kicks in around 2:57, seems to be undeniably the lead melody from "Tom Sawyer" by Rush. Was this one intentional as well?

Funny to me how you cite both Beethoven and Stravinsky here, as my meager Classical folder contains just them and Mozart.

Wow, it's funny how much everyone is looking into this. "Galactic Backward Movements" contains a lot of quotations and variations on all the themes on "The Alignment of Galaxies." I never meant to quote Dave Mustaine; I never really was so into Megadeth that I thought he deserved a shout-out, while I do like some of their stuff.

My father was the first to mention that one of the riffs sounded like "Tom Sawyer." It's similar, but it's just a coincidence. I think if you look into it, any prog-rock riff in 7/8 will get the "hey, that sounds like Rush!" reference, just like any chunky low-E palm mute riff gets "hey, that sounds like Metallica!" and any piece with incessant diatonic scale runs gets "hey, that sounds like Mozart!"