question about Hot Plate used as a "dummy load"

hellraiser85

Sep 1, 2007
Spain
www.myspace.com
Hi! I recently have bought a hot plate to use it as a dummy load connected to the speaker output of my 5150 and recording conecting the preamp output of this amp to the sound card.

I've noticed that when I started to recording using the hot plate the amp has less gain, and when before I was recording with gain at 5,5, now I need to put the gain about 6,5 - 7.

Is it possible that the hot plate affects to the sound of the preamp and decrease a bit the gain or maybe it is due to a problem with the preamp tubes??

Thanks!

Well I'd guess since your going Preamp out your losing the poweramp distortion. Which I guess would lead to less gain.Just a guess so....

Had the same issue myself, it's just how it goes. I found that the Hot Plate was useful for tracking leads and using impulses, but not very effective for rhythm guitars with my 5150. I think the issue is more with the 5150 than the Hot Plate, your mileage may vary with other amps.

You're better off picking up a rackmount tube preamp like the ENGL e530 if you want to direct-record like this.

Well I'd guess since your going Preamp out your losing the poweramp distortion. Which I guess would lead to less gain.Just a guess so....

He said he is going from the speaker output, so he is getting power stage distortion also.

I don't know about the problem though.

I thought the Hot Plate could handle 100w maximum, and the 5150 is 120 watts? Maybe I'm just being ignorant, but maybe this could be something to do with it?

I'm guessing there's something wrong with either the Hot Plate or your amp.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=843502&songID=6618870

That's my 5150 through the Hot Plate formerly belonging to Kazrog, used with impulses I made of my Engl V30 cab. Lead channel, high gain input, gain on 4 or 4.5 (I forget which). It sounds exactly like it did when I just miked the cab without the Hot Plate connected.

The download on the page will probably clear tomorrow; for now the hi-fi player is the only option.