Weber Mass as dummy load makes the amp smell like smoke

Salvation 13

Burp.
Feb 9, 2006
Tampere, Finland
I recently bought a Weber Mass so I could use it as a dummy load for silent recording. Today after a few minutes of playing the amp started to smell like burning. After investigating a bit I found out that the smell was coming from somewhere near the power tubes.

I had the Mass on top of the amp, had the master at about 10 o'clock on my Framus Cobra and the Mass set to 0 (max attenuation/dummy load). And I had the impedances set correctly.

So, I was wondering if this is normal? Can I safely continue using the amp this way? This is really irritating because this was the only use I bought the Mass for.

Probably a good idea to email weber... I wouldn't have expected burning smell unless the framus was on full power and really cookin'

I already did. He just advised to turn the volume and gain down. Thing is, I didn't have them very high to begin with. I had my master vol at 10 o'clock and gain at 12 o'clock. Any less than that and the amp won't sound very good.

I thought the idea of an attenuator was to be able to run your amp hotter?

Just got another email from Ted Weber. He thought it was just the combination of the tubes and the transformers heating up making the smell.

It's pretty weird because I have never before noticed anything like this. I've never done any bedroom recordings with it either, though. Could be the fact that I was using it in a smaller space than usual that made me notice it. Hopefully that was the case?

I'll get back to you if my amp decides to blow up. :erk: