Question about Joey's guitar editing!

HaydenLM1

Aug 21, 2011
Ive noticed in some of his stuff that the guitar is playing tremolo picking and the kick is hitting at the exact same time! It sounds a bit robotic in a good way (?) but also very natural, hard to explain! I hope you know what I mean!

The best example that I can find now is The final episode (Asking Alexandria) the breakdown at the beginning

How do you quantize the guitar to the drums that well without missing bits out of the guitar ?

Please help!

Last edited by a moderator:
If your on reaper I made a slip editing tutorial a while back. Even though this tutorial was actually meant for drums but it's the same exact thing for guitar.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a--5QFlylGg"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a--5QFlylGg[/ame]

Well, I've been recording metal for a little while and on projects that require that inhumanly precise guitar playing, I quantize the guitar DI track before re-amping them. If needed, when the guitar is playing the fast tremolo picking or anything like breakdowns where there are not too many note changes, I even copy and paste a good/perfect transient and place them on the grid accordingly. Its very time consuming, but it will get the results you want in your production. Hope this helps! :)

Gosh!

Joey has explained this.

He gave this one away a while ago. You record the guitars at half tempo. Like half the speed as tight as you can. Then you chop the fucker up so every note is cut in half. Delete every second section you have divided up. Drag all your little clips together, xfade themall to get rid of shitty pops n clicks and you have impossibly tight guitars that dont sound fake cause nothing is actually sped up. You're just chopping out all the ugly note transitions.

could you post a tutorial on that? Or explain more in detail. You're saying you record the riff at half the tempo it's supposed to be then cut each hit(note) in half? how do you cut it in half? do you do it by eye?

Gosh!

Joey has explained this.

He gave this one away a while ago. You record the guitars at half tempo. Like half the speed as tight as you can. Then you chop the fucker up so every note is cut in half. Delete every second section you have divided up. Drag all your little clips together, xfade themall to get rid of shitty pops n clicks and you have impossibly tight guitars that dont sound fake cause nothing is actually sped up. You're just chopping out all the ugly note transitions.

He also stated he doesnt do that shit anymore, its gotta be tight playing and tight editing, if the guitarist cant do it in real time, he needs practice!