Question about organization

Heabow

More cowbell!
Aug 24, 2011
France
Hi everyone!

I don't if the following question has to be posted here or in the Bar section. Sorry moderators if this is the wrong place...

When I record a band, I always make sure to have a few days off to edit the drum tracks before recording the other guys and in the ideal situation, I do the same for the guitars, bass, etc. I worked with pretty local bands until now so it's not a problem for them to go back to their house then come at my place again to nail the rest. I don't offer accommodation and I must say that I really hate having the band behind me when I edit the tracks :D

How do you guys do when a band comes from a longer distance? It may sound weird but hey it's always good to share experience!

I have a ps3 and big screen tv set up with netflix. But tbh I have never had a band that thought it was interesting to watch me beat detect for hours.

I work with a lot of out-of-town clients, so here's my approach - After the drums are done, we'll work on tracking one song at a time. I have the band come in a couple hours later than normal, which gives me time to edit drums and get everything together for that day's song before they get there (and gives them time to sleep in, take showers, etc. because we know that most bands aren't early birds). Doing one song at a time is also nice because it lets the band members rotate, rather than have the guitarist in the hot seat for 8 hours a day. It spaces out the vocals (giving the singer time to rest his voice and refine lyrics for the next song) and keeps things from getting too monotonous. Once the drums are edited I can use the early time for getting the mixes started as well.

Nice, that sounds like a good plan. I usually work after the band has left and get cleaning up the sessions. Makes for a short nights sleep.
That said, I rarely do much drum editing other than putting takes together and cleaning up the transitions between takes. I don't go moving hits around much unless something managed to slip by during tracking that was glaringly wrong.

I work with a lot of out-of-town clients, so here's my approach - After the drums are done, we'll work on tracking one song at a time. I have the band come in a couple hours later than normal, which gives me time to edit drums and get everything together for that day's song before they get there (and gives them time to sleep in, take showers, etc. because we know that most bands aren't early birds). Doing one song at a time is also nice because it lets the band members rotate, rather than have the guitarist in the hot seat for 8 hours a day. It spaces out the vocals (giving the singer time to rest his voice and refine lyrics for the next song) and keeps things from getting too monotonous. Once the drums are edited I can use the early time for getting the mixes started as well.

Sounds like a very good way of doing! Thanks man.