Question about Re-amping & signals

guitarguru777

Nov 13, 2003
Las Vegas
www.jasonconstantine.com
So here is my deal, I cant afford a re-amp box at the moment but I have some tracks I would really love to re-amp through my 5150. I have the Focusrite Sapphire Pro 40 interface and as any of you that own one know, it has a shitload of routing / output options.

My question is this. If i pump a direct guitar signal out of one of the billion outputs then run it through a TS9 into my amp is the signal coming out of the TS9 safe to run into the amp? I am thinking the TS9 may act as some kind of buffer on the output signal of the Sapphire to bring it down to the correct impedance / signal strength (what every it called).

I did this last week just as a test and I got a great tone out of it, but I still don't know if I am risking blowing my amp by doing so.

Any input would be appreciated :)

Nope, won't harm anything. Worst case is that you are distorting the input of the TS9. But if you like the tone... so what! If it sounds good it sound good!

Maybe just watch the levels on the output from the Saffire.

ya thats what I have been doing. Trying to match as closley as possible the output from the Saffire with the guitar. Hell technically I could even boost and cut the signal to get different types of sounds of of "the pickup"

Hmmm .. it is noisy as all fuck though when the guitar isnt playing ....lol

Any difference with the noise if you switch to battery-power in your pedal? (not sure that will do anything)

The noise you're getting is as a result of the impedance mismatch, you're going from line level out to your amp which expects a guitar level.

Thats the reason people use reamp boxes, to bring the line level back to guitar level. You're also experiencing some tone loss in the process but hey if it sounds good it is good eh!
You won't harm your gear doing this but undoubtedly it will sound better with a reamp box.

I remember Marcus' reamp box shootout where IMO the reamp slayed the redeye. If youre a cheap bastard though, I've got a Radial Prormp and love it!

Uhh, that's a negative my good man :lol: The closest thing to a slaying was the Countryman vs. Redeye as a DI for passive pickups (during my DI shootout), but I still maintain that the difference was ridiculously subtle, and the general consensus was that the re-ampers were all pretty much indistinguishable from one another, except for the ProRMP being ever so slightly inferior (but laughably subtly so)

For reference (bear in mind these are pretty old :p):

DI shootout
Re-amper shootout

Uhh, that's a negative my good man :lol: The closest thing to a slaying was the Countryman vs. Redeye as a DI for passive pickups (during my DI shootout), but I still maintain that the difference was ridiculously subtle, and the general consensus was that the re-ampers were all pretty much indistinguishable from one another, except for the ProRMP being ever so slightly inferior (but laughably subtly so)

For reference (bear in mind these are pretty old :p):

DI shootout
Re-amper shootout

Oh I guess I was mistaken, I remembered the redeye sounding most different than the other 3 but it's been awhile. Either way, for saving 150 bucks its worth getting the ProRMP instead of the reamp!

EDIT: links are down in that thread but the files can still be found here: http://forum.recordingreview.com/f85/four-250-re-amp-boxes-shootout-15512/

Ah crap, guess that drop.io thing expired, and I don't have the files anymore :ill: Good find on that recording review link though! (almost forgot that it won me an ilok license for SPL Transient Designer :D)

I didn't say I couldn't .... Its more my wife looks at me funny every time I say ... "Hey babe I'm going to Guitar Center"

$200 bones isn't a lot to drop on something that will serve as well as this will. I had to "go down" for a week in order to get my Saffire Pro 40 ... hell Ill probably have to just do some feet massaging for this ahahahahahahahah

Do you already have a good DI? Because if you don't, then for $200 the Redeye would be a good investment.

Those Director's are passive. Not really ideal for passive pickups, you want a 1M Ohm or higher impedance.

On the cheap, I use one of these:

http://www.audiopile.net/products/DI_Boxes/LDB-101/LDB-101_cutsheet.shtml

Sounds fine to me, just an Op-Amp buffer into a transformer.

The Samson S-Direct Actives are 1M too, but I haven't used them.

If you are handy, since you are in the US, you can build a Re-amper for pretty cheap. Mine uses this schematic:

http://www.jensen-transformers.com/as/as092.pdf

But then I used this transformer:

http://www.edcorusa.com/Products/ShowProduct.aspx?ID=287

Even with radio shack parts, you can bulid it for less than $30 and it works great!

Have you tried the Whirlwind backwards? That can work really well sometimes too, but only with passive DI's. That is how it was done in the early days.