Question about Re-amping & signals

I made a thread on a forum about this kind of thing.

http://www.musicradar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=60627

Interesting read, and has convinced me that I don't really need a reamp box. Essentially the thread amounts to:

Impedances only need to be matched to maximise power transfer.

Have you compared the differences between a using one or not using one on your own though? It really does make quite a difference in tone/noise.

What they are saying is all well and good, my only issue is the amount of noise I am getting when I try and use my interface.

I run from the interface to a TS9 and then to the Amp. Every little mouse click and movement I make in the PC I can hear through the amp.

Here is the singal chain from start to finish.

Guitar >Whirlwind DI> Saffire Pro 40> DAW (Record)

DAW > Saffire Pro 40> TS9 > AMP > SM57 > Saffire Pro 40 > DAW

The signal has so much noise its incredible. I have tried everything, moving cables, plugging into different outlets, Furman Power Conditioners, ground lifts on the amp and DI, and I still get the same uncontrollable noise.

I can use it this way as the noise from my amp when miced runs about -24 DB and the playback of the guitar I just gate after the fact and when the guitar is not playing you don't hear it, but I am concerned that its still affecting the tone.

i was hoping the Reamp Box would cure this. According to the guys on the other forum this would not be the case :(

Sounds more like a ground loop to me dude, I had to buy one of these babies to solve it during my re-amping days (and putting it on the amp power cord did the trick perfectly) However, my experience listening to clips of DI's re-amped without a re-amp box is that they sound very flat and undynamic (no punch on the palm mutes mainly)

Ok so I decided to try and grab someone elses DI's and see how they sounded.

The results were pretty shocking, while there was still noise it dropped down around -40db. I think the DI files I happened to be working with at the time were part of the problem. I am going to pick up a Hum-X this weekend and see if it makes a difference.