Question about Reamping and Feedback

mts1979

May 3, 2006
Hey guys..hoping you can help me out on this one. And if it's already been answered on here before, I couldn't find it, so my apologies.

My band's about to start tracking guitars for a full-length, and our guitarist wisely suggested that we record a DI signal and reamp the tracks. The problem is, we have a few songs with parts that are more or less controlled feedback. The kind where you move around the room with your guitar and find the "sweet spot".

I don't see how you could have feedback like that coming from a DI track -- you couldn't control it because the guitar's not even there. Anyone have any experience in dealing with this? Thanks.

for all gtr parts, track the DI and mic'd amp at the same time. then you can later reamp if necessary using the DI. also, you can probably use the tracked mic feedback parts regardless.

during the tracking phase, split the guitar signal off in the control room into a fully cranked mini marshall/practice amp with metalzone in front or whatever and set it in front of you when playing. the amp just serves to excite the strings and create the feedback that comes out of your mic'd amp or DI track.. ive done this a couple of times, you can barely see the feedback on the DI track but it reamps just fine...

during the tracking phase, split the guitar signal off in the control room into a fully cranked mini marshall/practice amp with metalzone in front or whatever and set it in front of you when playing. the amp just serves to excite the strings and create the feedback that comes out of your mic'd amp or DI track.. ive done this a couple of times, you can barely see the feedback on the DI track but it reamps just fine...

seems like a good idea.

record the feedback separate where needed.

You can make a small amp feedback just as easily as a larger one.

Softube makes a feedback simulator plug that works really well too, as an alternative.

You really think that softube plug is good? I'm still quite sure it's my most regretted music related purchase in many years. Complete fake sounding shite in my opinion.