something i dont understand about reamping

aviel

Aug 2, 2011
well after reading the guide for reamping. there is something i stil don understand. sorry for the stuiped question. everyone talks about how to get a clean nice signal into the DAW.

1st question:
i have a focusrite penta preamp/compressor. basiclly it has and instrument input, i guess that recordind through it will act as a DI, right? and i guess it will be better then any cheap-mid priced DI i buy outhere.

2nd question:
now i have my guitar recorded, and i want to send it back to the amp. do i need a REAMP box? can i just connect one of the outputs of my RME to the amp an record? or do i need again a DI to lower the signal?.. will just lowering the output volume of my RME act the same as lowering the signal with a DI? and if not, will a chep DI do the work, just to be used in front of the amp.

sorry for all those questions. just not sure about this stuff...

1st question:
i have a focusrite penta preamp/compressor. basiclly it has and instrument input, i guess that recordind through it will act as a DI, right? and i guess it will be better then any cheap-mid priced DI i buy outhere.

Most probably, but i am too lazy to check the specs.

now i have my guitar recorded, and i want to send it back to the amp. do i need a REAMP box?
Yep

can i just connect one of the outputs of my RME to the amp an record?
will just lowering the output volume of my RME act the same as lowering the signal with a DI?
Nope, if you want it to sound good.

or do i need again a DI to lower the signal?

and if not, will a chep DI do the work, just to be used in front of the amp.
In the old old old times, passive DI boxes were used in reverse for this purpose, but now we have reamp boxes that do the job MUCH better.

1. You'd actually be surprised how crappy some of the instrument inputs on preamps / channel strips can be. I'd say get a decent DI box as it will be a good investment regardless and see which one you prefer.

2. Yes you need a re-amp box, basically what a re-amp box does is changes the impedance of the signal from line level coming out of the RME, to a much higher impedance like that of your guitar. I'm perhaps not the best guy to go into the specifics of how this alters your tone but the first thing I noticed is that using the re-amp box got rid of a LOT of noise, it also felt like the amp was getting hit harder even though I was sending the same level signal. Yet again, not the best guy to explain that one!