Question about Still Life

It is a concept album-the story according to Mikeal Akerfeldt is as follows--
A disillusioned man returns to the village of his birth to try and find some redeeming quality in humanity. Full of hate and wanting to die, he happens across his boyhood love, Melinda who is remarried. (the moor) He watches her from afar and realizes that she is the only thing keeping him from madness. (godhead's lament) He watches her one night from afar and sees her fear and lonliness, even though she took a vow to be with another and he secretly wishes that she would come away with him. (benighted) He finally decides that he must risk everything and convince her to come with him, even if its just for one night. (monnlapse vertigo) He approaches her and they speak of forbidden feelings and she admits that she still loves him-"My promise is made but my heart is thine" (face of melinda) They run away together and take shelter in each others arms, but as they drift to sleep, the townspeople find them-"Awaoke from hibernal dream, no longer by my side" they take melinda and cut her throat"red line round her neck, melinda reflected in shafts" He goes insane and kills as many of the townspeople as possible but they manage to bring him down (Serenity Painted Death) He faces the hangman and at the monent of death, which he welcomes, he sees Melinda with arms outstreched greeting to the afterlife. (white cluster)

Hope this helps

Hehe...yeah that would be kind of hard with the lights off. :)

I did fall asleep to Still Life last night. I had my headphones on...I had some really strange dreams.

On a side note, I would like to say that album kicks extreme amounts of ass. Some of the melodies on that album sends chills up my spine...especially the clean parts in Godhead's Lament.

What a great concept! The first half of it sounds a bit like Great Expectations by Dickens.

You too eh Stephen? I was listening to Still Life last night in bed...fell asleep a few times during it then finally managed to wake up and turn the CD player off :) I had strange dreams also!

And yes! The acoustic passage in Godhead's Lament - how awesome is that! I nearly missed the bus this morning because I wanted to read all the lyrics after seeing this thread :D

I wonder if all the other albums have stories (like Still Life) ?
If so, could someone be nice and explain them to me :)
I don't have Still Life yet, but I do have Orchid, Morningrise and MAYH.... (MAYH seems to have some story.....I just can't figure it out)

Uhhh... Morningrise does seem to have some sort of loose concept running through it, but I can't decypher any actual story. It does (roughly) start with "the night sets forever" and end with "awaiting the sunrise", "the coldest morning", which suggests to me that it may take place all during one long night. Nectar includes the line "cannot bid farewell", which of course suggests a chronological continuity with the last track. And, most of the lyrics seem to dwell on the emotional byproduct of the hypothetical protagonist's relationship with, the cause of all known emotional torment, a female.

MAYH is definately a ghost story of some kind, and also seems to have a lost love lamentation (Oooh, alliteration!) theme running through it... especially noticeable with "Credence"... I'm feeling too lazy to read through the lyrics right now...

Oh, and listening to Opeth albums in bed, with the headphones on, is the only true way to experience Opeth at it's fullest.

Bugger, last night I burnt up my Still Life when I tried to read it in the dark with a candle. Bastard!

It's all in the FAQ, Soilworker:

Who is Melinda?

Mikael: (laughs) No one. She's a fictional character. I took her from this song by Uriah Heep called "Come Away Melinda".

---AND---

"Mikael Åkerfeldt's wife, Anna gave birth to a healthy and beautiful baby girl on the evening of Monday the 13th. This is the couple's first baby, and also the first born child within the Opeth camp. Their daughter's name? Melinda Åkerfeldt (of course)!! Weight: 3290 grams, height: 50 centimeters." -- Opeth.com

Damn. I started reading this thread and thought wow, this forum has taken a miraculous turn for the good - people actually responding reasonably to posts and being nice, no NFU/all sins/in absentia crap. Then i noticed the date. :erk: