Question about Still Life

You could have a hot nun I guess. Last semester the theater program at my college put on a comedy musical about nuns and there were a few cuties.

But in reality I don't think that happens.

Anyway Still Life, yeah.

EXTOL said:
It is a concept album-the story according to Mikeal Akerfeldt is as follows--
A disillusioned man returns to the village of his birth to try and find some redeeming quality in humanity. Full of hate and wanting to die, he happens across his boyhood love, Melinda who is remarried. (the moor) He watches her from afar and realizes that she is the only thing keeping him from madness. (godhead's lament) He watches her one night from afar and sees her fear and lonliness, even though she took a vow to be with another and he secretly wishes that she would come away with him. (benighted) He finally decides that he must risk everything and convince her to come with him, even if its just for one night. (monnlapse vertigo) He approaches her and they speak of forbidden feelings and she admits that she still loves him-"My promise is made but my heart is thine" (face of melinda) They run away together and take shelter in each others arms, but as they drift to sleep, the townspeople find them-"Awaoke from hibernal dream, no longer by my side" they take melinda and cut her throat"red line round her neck, melinda reflected in shafts" He goes insane and kills as many of the townspeople as possible but they manage to bring him down (Serenity Painted Death) He faces the hangman and at the monent of death, which he welcomes, he sees Melinda with arms outstreched greeting to the afterlife. (white cluster)

Hope this helps

That's actually the best summary of the story of Still Life I've ever read. One more reason for it being my favorite album.

That summary by EXTOL has definetly brought me closer to Still Life. it's hard for me to try and find the story or concept in albums, it always has, but i wish EXTOL was still around so I could thank him for explaining this.

Aarohi said:
Jude - Very interesting new angle mate. I hope Akerfeldt is reading this. Perhaps he can clear this bit up for us.
I do wish Mike would comment on my nun idea :cool:

Jude said:
Yes! Although of course either kind of infidelity would be bad...but I think this theory holds up better.

Any other takes on it?
along time ago someone on opethforum.com told me that orchid, morningrise, MAYH, and Still Life are interconencted. i knew this was completely false at the time, but its somehow stuck with me because it would be awesome.

edit: i found the original post. here:

The concept of Still Life is apparently a prequel to Orchid, in which a person, cast out by his society, wanders out into the forest, and there, for unknown reasons, the life slowly ebbs out of him until he dies. On Still Life, we get to see the events leading up to his final wanderings. Banished already by a mostly hateful society over what seems to be a difference in beliefs (he knows that they are behaving immorally), he returns for one reason only: his beloved Melinda, the one virtuous woman left in the place. When he finds her, however, he discovers one of the men of that corrupt society having his way with her. Still, he continues to love her and remains determined to get her out of that place. However, they are both captured and sentenced to death--we see Melinda's execution by hanging. His turn would have been next, but for (I am told by a friend) the mercy of a young man we see in life on Morningrise and also as the spirit on MAYH. From there, the outcast goes alone on his final voyage.

theres no validity, but its still interesting

billyneverdies said:
along time ago someone on opethforum.com told me that orchid, morningrise, MAYH, and Still Life are interconencted. i knew this was completely false at the time, but its somehow stuck with me because it would be awesome.
I remember seeing that....it was hilariously far-fetched and made no sense whatsoever :lol:

Not to mention that his facts about Still Life are wrong :\

Jude said:
I remember seeing that....it was hilariously far-fetched and made no sense whatsoever :lol:

Not to mention that his facts about Still Life are wrong :\
yeah. like i said, not plausible, but very interesting.