question before taking the pro tools hd plunge

Apr 18, 2008
im looking to upgrade my current system in the next few months ... i am shying away from otb mixes due to massive track counts upwards of 200 tracks on a regular basis.....not sure what hd platform to get to maximize the benefit.....

i am gonna go with 2 apogee adx16's and interface directly with the core cards ......

Thats as far as i have got so far...

hd1 seems limited as far as processing goes
hd2 i never worked on one but i here ok things about the processing power
hd3 is what i have worked on the regular at the commercial studios, but have not really pushed it like i would in my personal studio... i do all my prep work outside when mixing outside my place........mostly large format console mixes but this is going to strictly itb and this is where i get confused...

I just want to be smart about this and get the system that fits my needs
without being disappointed and have to upgrade after making the initial purchase......

any regular hd users input would be greatly appreciated :headbang:

im looking to upgrade my current system in the next few months ... i am shying away from otb mixes due to massive track counts upwards of 200 tracks on a regular basis.....not sure what hd platform to get to maximize the benefit.....

What 200 tracks? ha lol they're a lot.
Anyway I think HD 2 is just the way to go, if you work with a lot of tracks.
Maybe you can use something like duende or any other external card to do massive processing ;)
Bu I think HD2 will just work fine, maybe James murphy or any other HD2 guy should chime in!

cheers

from my knowledge, the hd systems 1-3 are only different due to the accel cards, theres always one core card, which is necessary, and the HD2 and 3 systems just have the accel cards for larger track input/output expansion and more dsp chips for the zero latency processing. and im also sure that an HD system regardless can only go up to 192 voiceable audio tracks (256 total) :/ so basically just a standard HD/hd2 system would do most people and you'd only look at HD3 setup if you have the pres and really need upto 96 channels of I/O!!!

from my knowledge, the hd systems 1-3 are only different due to the accel cards, theres always one core card, which is necessary, and the HD2 and 3 systems just have the accel cards for larger track input/output expansion and more dsp chips for the zero latency processing. and im also sure that an HD system regardless can only go up to 192 voiceable audio tracks (256 total) :/ so basically just a standard HD/hd2 system would do most people and you'd only look at HD3 setup if you have the pres and really need upto 96 channels of I/O!!!

yeah tahts where i get confused is with the core cards

200 tracks?

pre submix of course, but still tons of tracks i usually dwindle it down to as little as possible before the mix starts....... i get some outrageous track counts from different generas sometimes the producer will go note by note with the vocals etc..... for example

well basically you have to have a core card to run HD, and an interface, such as the 90io, that would be my setup! then if i were to expand id get a core card, with other interfaces such as the digi pre, and an expansion setup on the io

i already have the adx16 from apogee it will interface directly with the core card from what i understand to not have to use digi's 192'etc and only the core cards