Question EZ Drummer/Metal Machine Users

Robert W

May 13, 2009
I looking for decent quality slow loops to write to and was wondering if either EZ Drummer or Metal Machine has any decent sounding slow Sabbath/Electric Wizard/St. Vitus type beats.

Now assuming they do, my next question is can I, with either program, just export a beat I like as a WAV file?

So u are asking if u can do that in standalone? I guess u dont wanna be using a daw?

Ideally what I'd like to do is throw some pre-recorded beats together and export them as a WAV file that I can use with Reaper. Not looking to write by own beats, just looking for some decent sounding stuff around the 30-50 BPM to jam and record to.

There's no reason to export them to use them in Reaper. The loops that come with EZDrummer are drag and drop midi files that function within Reaper. And EZ has a 1/2 speed option to slow the loops down, so the answer to both your questions is yes.

There's no reason to export them to use them in Reaper. The loops that come with EZDrummer are drag and drop midi files that function within Reaper. And EZ has a 1/2 speed option to slow the loops down, so the answer to both your questions is yes.

Thanks for the heads up.

Guess my other question is does EZ Drummer have any non-double bass drum beats?

EZ Drummer itself comes with some (not very many, maybe 20 or 30) mediocre pop-rock beats and Metal Machine comes with a lot, around 75-100. Each let you select only the drums from a certain part of the kit- snare, bass, cymbals, etc.- to drag and drop into your DAW, so you could take the kicks from one and a snare from one another. In other words, you're going to have a lot of possibilities if you play around with it. Metal Machine is made specifically for metal so it's pretty double bass-heavy, but as I said, if you reduce the speed to half-time and play at an appropriate tempo it should sound okay. I don't think a sound library exists for doom metal but it's worth checking the Toontrack site.

I personally love Metal Machine for doom; it has a ludwig kit that sounds massive. As for the midi, it's all stuff from John Tempesta (White Zombie, Testament, Exodus, The Cult) so yes, the loops are generally faster but it would be easy enough to manipulate the tempo to fit with a St.Vitus/Electric Wizrad-esque groove.

Other than that I would suggest programming some ideas with ezdrummer/metal machine in reaper, especially since the grooves you're looking for are not terribly complex or fast. You can also cut up and move beats around within the MM loops in the piano roll and adjust velocities to fit the style.

Not only can you half time's the beats in EzDrummer, you can also change the tempo in Reaper. You can tailor it to whatever tempo you need. Also, Toontrack's stuff should still be on sale now, check out eBay seller 'Audio Vengeance' for great prices and service. Clint has treated me great over the years.

Not only can you half time's the beats in EzDrummer, you can also change the tempo in Reaper. You can tailor it to whatever tempo you need. Also, Toontrack's stuff should still be on sale now, check out eBay seller 'Audio Vengeance' for great prices and service. Clint has treated me great over the years.

Shit, I totally forgot to say this hahah. That too!