Question for all you amp techs

emerica167852

Apr 6, 2010
Michigan
So i got a problem with my peavey windsor. Whenever i flip it on, the power amp tubes light up and stuff but the preamp tubes or the pilot light doesnt light up. and i get no sound. Its almost as if the whole front section of the amp is broke but the back section is fine. I even tried plugging my guitar into the power amp it, basically bypassing the preamp and it worked then. Anyone have an idea what might be the issue??? ive tried a new fuse, new preamp tubes and i opened it up to see if there was anything obvious wrong and i didnt see anything.

It's a 3A fuse BTW. The preamp tubes runs off of a different heater circuit(DC) than the power tubes. So that's why if that fuse blows, the poweramp/PI will still work.

Once you replace that fuse, don't reuse the 2 preamp tubes. One of those is bad and caused a short, hence why the fuse blew.

radio shack should have a fuse like that. look on the fuse and see if it's slow blow or fast acting. if it has an F on it then it's fast acting. (ie: F3A 250V)

take the preamp tubes out, install new fuse, and try each preamp tube one at a time until the fuse pops (that's the bad one!). you can do this with the amp powered on, just keep your volume controls all the way down.

also, it's probably easier to do this with the chasis out, just don't get zapped. i've been hit by the heater circuit on the windsor a few times while dicking around, scares the shit out of ya.