Question for Andy, what Engl amp did Arch Enemy use on Wages of Sin?

Mark_Palangio

On The Fields Of Life
Jul 12, 2005
Greensburg, PA
Did Chris use his Blackmore along with the 5150 for that album? Also, I don't know if you produced Dead Eyes See No Future, but their Carcass cover of Incarnated Solvent Abuse sounds incredible, I wonder if that was all 5150?

Never knew Chris had an Engl...

The Incarnated Solvent Abuse cover is good but I reckon it's a little too fast. Is it tuned to C aswell? I like the cover and all, but out of any band I can think of Arch Enemy could cover Carcass songs the best seeing as Angela sounds so much like Jeff and Mike played in Carcass.

DiscipleOfThePit said:
Never knew Chris had an Engl...

The Incarnated Solvent Abuse cover is good but I reckon it's a little too fast. Is it tuned to C aswell? I like the cover and all, but out of any band I can think of Arch Enemy could cover Carcass songs the best seeing as Angela sounds so much like Jeff and Mike played in Carcass.

It's tuned to B like the original I think. The tone on their cover is awesome, that's why I'm wondering if they used the Engl along with the 5150's. I'm almost positive Chris has an Engl Blackmore, if it's not a Blackmore, he has some Engl, maybe a Savage?

Mendel said:
i saw i while ago some live vidz from arch enemy. and amott had a Engl amp for sure

I saw Arch Enemy last night in St. Louis w/ In Flames and both bands played Krank amps. Arch Enemy's tone sounded like shit. When they solo'd it sounded sweet but the rhythm tone was complete garbage. I was a bit disappointed. The replacement guitar player's tone sounded like a bass. It was horribly muddy. Amott's tone was all high's. The wife and I were quite surprised at how bad those amps sounded.

Hapexamendios said:
I saw Arch Enemy last night in St. Louis w/ In Flames and both bands played Krank amps. Arch Enemy's tone sounded like shit. When they solo'd it sounded sweet but the rhythm tone was complete garbage. I was a bit disappointed. The replacement guitar player's tone sounded like a bass. It was horribly muddy. Amott's tone was all high's. The wife and I were quite surprised at how bad those amps sounded.

Yup, same deal at Ozzfest last weekend. Those Krank amps sound like a fucking swarm of bees. The only band that played them and didn't sound like shit was Soilwork. Gus G's Krank didn't cut through at all, you couldn't even hear him. Mike's was real harsh, too much high end sizzle. Why don't they stick with the 5150's or Engl's? Both of those amps just shit all over the Kranks in every possible way...except the Kranks are free.

Mark_Palangio said:
Yup, same deal at Ozzfest last weekend. Those Krank amps sound like a fucking swarm of bees. The only band that played them and didn't sound like shit was Soilwork. Gus G's Krank didn't cut through at all, you couldn't even hear him. Mike's was real harsh, too much high end sizzle. Why don't they stick with the 5150's or Engl's? Both of those amps just shit all over the Kranks in every possible way...except the Kranks are free.

A Dozen Furies played Mesa Boogie and they probably had the best sound of the night. They were fun to watch, too.

Mark_Palangio said:

yeah i think it was that one ! the video was a old performance. i think it was a tour just after the realeased the album with enemy within on it ( forgot the name of it ) anyway the tone was pretty sweet.

AT THE OTHERHAND FOR EVERYONE: so arch enemy uses krank amp live ? and it sucked ? wow, that suprised me. i heard allot of demo's on their site and i thought it was pretty sweet ! and a dozen furries ( dindt they won battle for ozzfest ? ) anyway they used mesa boogie and it sounded cool ? wow . . . .mesa boogie owns shit !!

Mendel said:
what about mesa boogie. dindt you hear the new nevermore record ><!!

I'm not a big Mesa fan, I like their cabs, but not the heads so much. The Recto's aren't tight enough for me, and the Mark series just aren't my thing. They're overpriced too IMO, you can get way better for the price of a Triple Recto.

Mendel said:
AT THE OTHERHAND FOR EVERYONE: so arch enemy uses krank amp live ? and it sucked ? wow, that suprised me. i heard allot of demo's on their site and i thought it was pretty sweet ! and a dozen furries ( dindt they won battle for ozzfest ? ) anyway they used mesa boogie and it sounded cool ? wow . . . .mesa boogie owns shit !!

AE's new CD has kick ass guitar tone but live, they blew. And yes, A Dozen Furies won the battle for ozzfest. they actually sounded quite good. Also good stage presence...they were all over the fucking stage. AE looked bored and Gus G's tone sucked....it literally sounded like a distorted bass. He was the most energetic of the band--except the drummer who kicked ass..as usual.

I had a hard time believing the soundman would have done a better job with A Dozen Furies and Gizmachi who both sounded better (tone-wise) than In Flames and Arch Enemy. Gizmachi and ADF used Mesa Boogie while the IF and AE used Krank. Coincidence? :)

As far as the Randall goes i know that Mr Fredman has a bunch of RH100 heads lying around the studio (he wanted to try one out for the studio but got an endorsementdeal for Dream Evil instead, he's playing a powerball now though) so i guess AE used one of those.

I'm about to get one of those (RH100-G2) with a Randall cab in a damn good deal.. that is if it sounds and records any good at all.. then it'll be a damn good deal.