Question for Chris Broderick

devilfish063

Nov 16, 2007
Hi Chris!
I have a question about picking technique.. When I'm playing something slow my right hand is relaxed, picking motions are fluent and i hold the pick very lightly. When it comes to faster playing and shredding, i notice that i hold the pick much more firmly so my right hand gets a lot stiffer. Is this normal or is it possible to play really fast while being completely relaxed?
Also i mostly use heavy picks but i think arpeggios are much easily performed by light picks.
Do you believe that light picks require less precision because they bend and is it possible to shred with them?

I know i'm not Chris, but I do the same thing, and I actually think its easier for me to play with a precise, stiff picking hand. I can play fast when relaxed, but I seem to prefer the opposite. I am mostly a riffer though:headbang: so that could be a different story. Hope this helps.

It's just that i have changed my right hand position or picking style so many times I'm not sure what to settle with. And guitar players who are really relaxed seem to play so easily..
I recently read this article:
http://www.tuckandpatti.com/pick-finger_tech.html
and it's really amazing.. but i get the feel that there is no best technique.. only the one you practice the most..

Just remember that people are built differently, so different ways of picking are valid, however you should be able to evaluate you picking to see if it is as efficient as it can be. I think if you can play something relaxed slow, then you should be able to do the same fast.

Take care, Chris.