Question For Chris

drewski

Mar 25, 2005
www.soundclick.com
Hey Chris, as you might know I'm 18, finishing high school, and I'm looking to pursue a career in music. My question for you is : when you decided you wanted to become a professional musician, did you have the support of your family and friends or were they always doubtful telling you to get a "real" education or job in something other than music. I'm just curious if you went through stuff like that because that's alot of what I'm going through right now. If you have any advice for someone who's just starting out and going to music college what would it be?

Thank You, Drewski

drewski said:
Hey Chris, as you might know I'm 18, finishing high school, and I'm looking to pursue a career in music. My question for you is : when you decided you wanted to become a professional musician, did you have the support of your family and friends or were they always doubtful telling you to get a "real" education or job in something other than music. I'm just curious if you went through stuff like that because that's alot of what I'm going through right now. If you have any advice for someone who's just starting out and going to music college what would it be?

Thank You, Drewski

I know you're asking Chris, but I think a lot of people go through this dilemma. Especially when mom's side of the family are all engineers and dad's side are all teachers...there's a lot to "live up to," if you know what I mean. But you have to think, what is a "real" job? Sitting at a desk all day? Working on cars? Stripping for money? Cooking food? There are lots of people unhappy with their jobs, do something you love...but always have a back-up plan.

Yes, I definitely went through a lot of that. Not only from my Friends and Family but myself as well. I knew that music is a sketchy biz to make a living at, and had to make a decision about whether or not collage was worth it. What sold me on the idea was that I knew I wanted the knowledge and that is the best reason to attend any school. So, my advice is, if you see the education as worth the time, effort and money then do it, if your looking to see how much money you can make after collage then consider another major, but still pursue music within your means.
Good luck, Chris.

Thanks alot for the advice guys. I'm definately gonna go to music college because I really do want the knowledge and I do want to grow more as a musician. I'm not looking for great wealth from all of it just looking to make a descent living to support myself and still do what I love, play music.

Thanks again, Drewski

drewski said:
Thanks alot for the advice guys. I'm definately gonna go to music college because I really do want the knowledge and I do want to grow more as a musician. I'm not looking for great wealth from all of it just looking to make a descent living to support myself and still do what I love, play music.

Thanks again, Drewski
That is the exact same conclusion I came up with. Good Luck,Chris.