Question for Dan about growling

wigge83

New Metal Member
Aug 30, 2004
Hi Dan! I´m a big fan of you, love everything you have done.
I got a question for you that I hope you can answer.
I wanna learn how to growl. Can you tell me how to do??

Sorry for my bad english, I´m from Finland :Spin:

"Look inside ya heart!"
Really worthless response.
----------------------------------------

For the growling you must have anatomic preconditions - your thorat must have the right shape. But even if you haven't these precondtions you can improve yourself very far. First try to scream like in black metal band - this can do everyone - even girls :) It's a good exercise to warm your throat. The point and the difference between black and death growls is that the black growl comes from the top of your throat - the death one comes from the middle and the bottom. The deeper you feel the sound in your throat the better growl you get. The shape of your mouth is too important. You cant growl deep when your mouth is too much opened. Try to shape your mouth in little "O" and start only with very quiet growling. Just make it growl even when it's very quiet. And keep practicing this technique and every day try to growl a bit louder. Make it slow and you can learn growling in 1-2 months. The final stage is that you can allmost scream with your growls. You must find your position of voice - not everyone can growl as Dan - maybe you will be more similar to Mike's growls or the Deicide. To copy someone's growling is way too hard.

Mr. Niel said:
Sorry, "coach."

I certainly have no idea how to do it. Nope.

You certainly don't...(sarcasm)

I don't know if it's really an anatomical thing, but all I know is you just have to mess around with it a lot, like practice it just for fun to songs and stuff, and you'll be alright, or you just can't do it. Some can definitely do it better than others, but I think we can all do it to some decent extent as long as we practice.

Hey Niel, I was wondering if you ever feel sore or anything after you do some gurgling?!? Sometimes if I overwork it, it feels sore in my throat, but not too badly, wondering if this would be a problem.

All I can say is TAKE CARE OF YOUR THROAT. It's the most important thing to do. Drink tea with honey, lemon, or applejuice. Always drink water, room temperature. Anything cold is murder on the voice. The growl should be from the diaphram, not all throat. It is also something to condition yourself for. If you jam once a week, you'll be fine, but as soon as you try to do it a few days in a row, you WILL lose your voice. Also, there is NO need to growl as loudly as you can. Just do it so it sounds good, and you have control. Too loudly and overpowering will tear your voice up FAST. Just take it slowly, make it come from deep down, and baby your throat a lot. There's a vocal spray I use on tour, or in the studio called VocalEase. (I think that;s the spelling anyway) and it's made to help keep things in shape during a performance. Use it 30 minutes before you start, and after your done. Then hit the Tea. Hope this helps some, and good luck!

dude...that sounds so weird, what about those (like you, for instance) who are on tour and have to gig all days in a week?

I'm also very interested in this question. I want to growl, I want to do it like Mikael Arkerfeldt I mean... having a softier growl tone like his and being able to make those "demonic growls" from deep inside...but... I've not a place to pratice like that.

Lepper: I do feel my throat sored after a while when I'm growling "in whispers" (not really whispers, but it's the type of growl that's only feasible for studio performance, without much people around you playin'). I also have the temptation to cough and a few vomit-pushes come forward (this is no kidding, it really does happen! not always though, just when I really try to push things forward when I'm like hitting the bottom)

Your voice like any other area of your body needs to be conditioned. You can't jump into weight lifting full on everyday. At first, you need to start very slowly, a little but each day, and slowly adding to it. It's the same with growling. To prepare for a tour, or several shows in a row, if I have not growled in a couple weeks, my voice will be shot after the second show. For a couple weeks prior, you need to do it everyday, starting out with very little, and by the second week, running through the entire set daily. Again, it's also taking care of the throat during that time as well. Hot tea, honey, etc...

The coughing can be caused by a "Tickle". You'll get that when you voice starts to tear. It's the sure sign your voice is not conditioned for it, and you over did it. The "vomit pushes" may be a gag reflex from the tickle.

No one can tell you how to sound like Arkerfeldt, or Swano, or even me. It's just like "normal" singing. No one will sound exactly alike, and ou'll just sound like "you." There's no trick to sounding like someone, just work on your own voice, and make it sound the best it can. The only hint I can pass along, and what worked well for me over the years, is be as audible, and pronounce the words as clearly as you can. You'll find you may need to pronounce words differently while growling than speaking. Some accents need to be placed on different sounds to make it more audible.

It always pisses me off when people assume growling is "easy" just because it's not as technical as normal singing. Anyone can growl for a few seconds, but try it for 10, 20 or even 50 days in a row, and see if you can do it. Hell, lock yourself into a studio, and try to do an entire album in a weekend or 3 days with 10 hour sessions. It's far from easy to keep the "quality" of the growl for a good length of time. That's where the challenge comes in. I'm pretty sure Dan would agree. Dan, i'd love to hear your thoughts on this.

As long as the subject is in the air... here's a question for Novembers paul- do you use a growl from the gut on tour? I've found that through experimentation and a shove in the right direction from Mr. Niel I can perform a few different "guttural" growls if you will quietly and be able to sustain them for a decent amount of time. I don't consider these to be my normal growls however. It takes somewhat heavy compression and concentration on my part to make these sound good on record, and I doubt I could perform reliably on tour this way. My "normal" growl comes straight from the throat and I can get a lot of sounds that way. It's reliable, and sounds good on record. But I can only hold a "normal" growl for about 8 seconds. I imagine this is because the air must be expelled fast to maintain the tone and quality of the growl. I can hold high, black metal growls for about 2 or 3 seconds longer and I imagine this is because my throat is made small for the high tone. I usually just growl normally and use a "quiet" growl for parts that I wouldn't normally be able to sustain but I would feel nervous doing that on stage. I wouldn't know if my voice would crack or if I wouldn't be able to get a solid gurgle or what. So it makes me wonder how people perform this way on stage constantly. Any comments?

Morningstar: when I first tried to learn this I couldn't even make a growling noise. When I asked about it in places like this I never got one response that told me how to actually do it- so it took me forever to actually learn. Other then choking your throat and making yourself gag, do you know how to do a basic growl? Y'know, one without grizzly after effects(unless of course you scream your face of for 4 hours.)

It all depends on the sound system of the venue we're playing. If the stage monitor system is grood, and I can actually hear myself well, I can lay back a bit and control the sound better, and actually growl on a softer level. The PA will project your voice, so you don't need to over so it. BUT, if I can't hear myself, I always over do it, so I can try to hear myself in my head over the band on stage, and cash my voice out. It's difficult in a shitty club, but when the equipment is good, I have a much easier time, performing, and on my throat.

[good advice on the vocals and taking care of your throat Paul.....that is similar to what I would suggest....can't wait to hear the new ND cd!

I don't sing in a band or anything but I growl to my mp3s and cds in the car and in the room all the time. I've been trying to do it for a long while and it takes forever to get it right. I find that if I warm up a little it does help my tone a LOT. It used to sound like a nu-metal band would but after a lot of practice I can actually do it now. I don't do it as much as paul but I'm a little surprised at what he had to say. He's probably right. Listen to him talk and listen to Tom Araya talk.