Question for Jasun

samer1

New Metal Member
Nov 13, 2006
Hi Jasun, i am a huge fan of zero hour, and all your guitar work.

I was wondering why do you use emg 707 pick ups in the bridge? And what do you use for you neck pick ups in your guitars that have a neck pup?

Thanks man!

What is the 81-7 like, i hear a lot of bad things about EMG's in 7 strings. Yet alot of great players use them (Rusty Cooley, Jasun, and Dave has one in his jackson from Division)

the 81-7 is mostly a bridge pick up right?

What is the 81-7 like, i hear a lot of bad things about EMG's in 7 strings. Yet alot of great players use them (Rusty Cooley, Jasun, and Dave has one in his jackson from Division)

the 81-7 is mostly a bridge pick up right?

Dave *used* to have one - he swapped it out for a JB. (It really didn't work in that guitar, and neither did the 707.)

I prefer the 707 out of the two. I used a 6 string 81 when I used EMGs in the '90s - they have a lot of upper mid "bite", which really cuts, but I prefer the slightly smoother and warmer sound of the 707.

A lot of us are still pissed at EMG for the oversized housing, too. :lol:

the reason i ask, the Kxk guitar im going to get build, i cant figure out what pups to put in it, all my other guitars have dimarzios. Its between EMG and Seymour Duncan. Im trying to decide. I love the tone on zero hour cd's. But i dont know if thats the EMG's or just Jasun being a amazing player.

It's both. ;)

Seriously, it really depends what else you're using, as well. If your tone is built around DiMarzios, you probably want to stay with those - or, at least, Duncans. That way you can switch easily, which you *can't* do if the guitar is initially routed for EMGs.

If you're after something different, you can try the EMGs.

I'm assuming your the same samer that's on sevenstring.org, correct? ;)

Hi Mike, yea i am the same guy :) thanks for the info. I am still thinking about what pups to get. I love that clean yet brutal sound that zero hour has.
Im going to go try a hell raiser and see what the pups sound like.

See you on sevenstring.org \m/

Hey, samer!

The prototype Rob (from KxK) just sent me has an X2N, and it sounds absolutely crushing. It is too over the top for what I do (I need some more dynamics in a pickup), but it has that hammer to the head rhythm crush down. If you really like Dimarzio, try the D-Sonic--just don't tell zimbloth. :lol:

Jasun's 81-7 through a Single Rec sounded amazingly good. I do believe that is the first time I've ever liked the sound of that pickup for single note lines in the upper registers. I'm sure it has a lot to do with his touch, and the wood in that guitar. It sounded like it was just one of those magic pieces of wood. Mike and I both got to spend some time playing it, and even unplugged, it sang out. Manne definitely doesn't joke around.

Sorry Samer1 for not getting back to you sooner, I overlooked this by accident.

Mike is correct I have a EMG 81-7 in the bridge and I LOVE IT and a 707 EMG in the bridge. I have 7 string Piezo in the guitar as well that will be used for the studio.

I very much would tell any 7 string player to check out the EMG 81-7's in the bridge because I personally really like them.

METAL MY BRUTHA!!

Jasun

thanks for the responses Jasun, Mike, and Dave.

I'm gonna get the Kxk with the 81-7 and 707 combo.

I am thinking of selling my JSX to to get a Mesa i am so into the zero hour tone.

I hope to see you guys live soon (same for division hopefully)

Metal on guys :headbang:

I think Mike and Dave wil agree with me that Boogie is the only way to go bro. THe Rectifier heads are the best when it comes to tone and it will be last amp you buy.

METAL!!

Jasun

I think Mike and Dave wil agree with me that Boogie is the only way to go bro. THe Rectifier heads are the best when it comes to tone and it will be last amp you buy.

METAL!!

Jasun
And I know that Mike, Dave, AND Jasun all know I'm also a HUGE backer of all things Mesa Boogie! I bought my Mark IV back in '91 and I LOVE that amp! My Music Man just sings out of it and is decently crunchy. My 1985 RR USA Jackson has more bite and is even more metal sounding for more crunch. While the Jackson was long my main guitar, the Music Man has become a favorite of mine and barely touch any other guitar. I did really like Jasun's Manne though! The neck felt awesome - even with that extra string on there. ;-)

I have been looking to get a 7. I am under the impression as far as scale length, 25 1/2 would be the minimum due to the need for the extra "oomph" on the 7th string that a longer scale can bring. Schecter has the Black Jack C7 with 26 1/2 scale length. Some Baritones are 28 or so. Any opinions on scale length, string guage, and woods? Also, has any one tried that Mesa Roadster. 4 Channels and all the varieties of settings would seem to get a huge varieties of sound. I play a range of music styles from classic doom to progressive rock and metal.

Thanks for replies.

You know I haven't played the Roadster but I'm sure that kats in Division can help you on that end bro. I do plan to check one of those bad boys out one of these days and heard good things.

YOU RULE 97REB and everyone is doing great!!

Jasun