Question for Kristian

The Grand Design

The Jester Race Submits
Jun 14, 2003
Christchurch, New Zealand
Visit site
Hey dude, firstly wanna let you know Riders is a marvellous album and highly underrated!! You have fans in New Zealand even! (me) :kickass:

Secondly I understand you're involved in Dark Funeral, and seeing as DF is a damn sweet black metal band, I wanted to ask for your (critical) opinion my black metal band Varraghor. You can hear our music if you click the link in my sig. I wanna know what you think is good about it, where we could improve, etc, would be awesome if I could get some feedback from ya :headbang:

-Geoff

Hey thanks! Happy you like it!

Im not in any way shape or form involved in Dark Funeral, but I am a HUGE fan of that band.
Its always really touchy and difficult to critizise peoples music. But I´ll listen to it. Dont get upset if I dont like it though....my opinion doesnt mean shit.

Cheers!!
/kristian

Kristian, are you looking for any other projects since Therion disbanded (specifically more symphonic-oriented material :cool:)?

I'm a huge fan of your style, man. Your solos for Therion (especially on Secret of the Runes and Gothic Kabbalah) are absolutely perfect for the songs they accompany. The solo for Asgard is simply majestic. Personally, as far as emotional quality in your playing, I consider you the David Gilmour of metal (and Gilmour's my favorite guitarist). Rock on, and hope to hear more from you soon! :headbang:

Thank you veeeeeeeery much! :)
If I had 1/1000 of the taste and musicality Gilmour has I´d be happy...and great! I love that guy. So to be called the Gilmour of metal is very nice :)
I try to at least have one or two notes with feeling in every solo to balance out the obvious overplaying ;-)

Other projects:
Im always looking for stuff to do and Im always interested in cool projects. My main focus is Demonoid and I have some other things planned for this year but Im open for anything as long as I really like the music: studio work, guest solos, touring...whatever.

Cheers!
/kristian

Hail Kristian!

Me and my band mates here in Malaysia are HUGE fans of your work, both your past and present works with THERION and DEMONOID. After hearing only the best comments about Riders, I had to get a copy, and it totally blew me away!

The entire CD is full of nostalgic thrash riffs that bring back the 80s, and at the same time your ferocious leads throw us into the dark days of the medieval ages!

Truly outstanding! And after blabbering, here is my question:

Who were/are your biggest influences when you were writing Riders Of The Apocalypse?

And again, I bow to thee Kristian!:worship:

Hey, thanks for the compliments! :)

Well, I think the influences on that record FOR ME can be divided two groups: old fave bands and new cool bands:
OFB: Pantera, early Metallica, Testament, Yngwie, Death, Annihilator, Racer X, Cacophony.
NCB: Emperor, Nile, Satyricon, Opeth, Arch Enemy, Soilwork.

Great list of influences! NILE is always good, so is Opeth! I heard a lot of 80s thrash references in Demonoid, which is an absolute pleasure to hear (that's the best form of thrash!).

And, not to sound like a suck-up, but you are in my top 3 list of metal shredders! In no particular order, you are right there alongside Jeff Loomis and Ralph Santolla! Keep up the great work, you're an inspiration to us!