question for Mark Lewis

Almost always the original E channel. I actually find the G channel to be a bit more surgical and boring sounding. Even though it doesnt have the bell switch on the high and low the G eq is a bit tighter to me. The e channel is just warmer and grainier to me. Both are great, in the right situations.

Thank for all this clarification and for take the time for answer. You rock seriously Mark:kickass:

yeah, thank you very much!

nocturnal, deflorate, and BTM's dystopia are all sounding great. nice and crushing, transparent, and different from the sample heavy mainstream sound.

Thanks so much dude... really its so great people dig what we do. Makes our jobs that much cooler.

Anyway...

Honestly on all those records, there is no processing besides eq on the guitars.

We probably high passed about 65hz and then low passed between 11-12 depending on the filter. On nocturnal (we mixed that on an SSL) we may have low passed all the way up to 9k because the SSL filters arent to steep. Just to whatever sounds good.

The guitar tones on all 3 of those records are the same model amp but i consider the tones pretty different... especially on nocturnal. On nocturnal i remember we used all outboard and console EQ. We actually took the guitar tracks and multed them out to another stereo channel on the board and i took a NEVE portico EQ and literally eq'd the fucking hell out of em. Like 9-14db per frequency. Then we snuck that channel up under the original tracks. So its like parallel eq. Keep in mind though i didnt do this until we were completely happy with the original tracks. So thats kind of how we got that crazy almost exploding guitar sound on that record. Its not something an amp would really ever produce, ya know? We just wanted that raw, exploding midrange and that crazy crunch... it just magnifies all the crazy stuff going on with the amp.

As far as JFAC. That was mostly jason's mix i was pretty busy producing the BDM at the time that mix went down. But it was definitely the basic 5150 mesa cab setup and i remember when i did some mix engineering on that session that there was URS and SONNOX eq on the tracks. These tracks were not eq'd nearly as much as the BDM. It just wasnt called for in the final mix. No crazy processing either...

On deflorate we used a similar eq setup, and EVH 5150III this time. We didnt have the SSL but we used SSL plug on the guitars and i used the portico again too do that parallel thing. Obviously its a much smoother and more refined sound to me... more fitting for the album and songs to me.

And remember... we used KILLER guitars and KILLER players played these riffs. We spend alot of time choosing guitars and string gauges etc...

Alot of this tone is in these guys hands and the riffs they play.

I'll get to the bass later...

So what actual amps are you using?

Did you even read what you quoted? :lol:

I read the 5150, mesa cab part...

But I was interested in Nocturnal.. I'm pretty good at mixing/recording myself, but he listed a few things I've not heard of.

BUT, since I've got better things to do than flaming people :headbang: I re-read the post seeing that it was a 5150/mesa setup for all albums.. Which is impressive.

Sorry I get in a hurry sometimes?

I was hoping he's say he used and Engl, because I know that TBDM uses Engl, and I want one, and the guitar tone on Nocturnal rules... Damn you 5150

I was hoping he's say he used and Engl, because I know that TBDM uses Engl, and I want one, and the guitar tone on Nocturnal rules... Damn you 5150

I think there's a Peavey interview in some magazin where they discussed the Nocturnal...can't remeber wwhich mag it was in though....had generic 6505 settings also, perhps someonw else can help with the link?

FUUUUUUU I JUST deleted that fucking PDF from my dropbox earlier today and then emptied my trash. The filename does not hint at what it really is. God dammit. I think I got it from JeffTD though!

No engls for TBDM... 5150 only. Ryan may get a 5150III soon. Which we used on deflorate. The leads were a bogner uberschall through a marshall cab...