Bass awesome-ifying service?

I personally (and perhaps controversially) believe that in many cases the bass guitar is more fundamental to a mix than the guitars, so it has always baffled me why guitar reamping has historically been the prime driving force of reamping.

+1

The only issue I see with this is that you get back a bass tone, and from then on you pretty much have to shape the rest of the mix around the bass.. sure you can EQ it a bit, but that's about it. That way of recording used to be pretty standard.. get back the amp'd sound that's 90% of the way there, but most people aren't used to mixing like that anymore.

You and I seem to have quite similar approaches to mixing (mix the drums n bass well, then make vocals exciting, then fit the guitars wherever is left) but our mixes are generally quite different, which is interesting.

edit:Any chance of the solo'd bass tones from any of the clips in the OP? Just to get an idea of what we'll be getting back.

especially with bass, if the source lacks, i highly recommend reprogramming bass rather than trying to fix that mess in the mix.

Ughhh. Show me a good programmed bass, because I haven't ever heard one with personality. Even the worst bassist (I had to hold frets because he couldn't play riff) with the worst timing (I tuned+quantized every single note) with a terrible bass with months-old strings and a battery that was so close to dying it was farting... ended up with a wicked sound. It wasn't clean or tight in the low-end, but all the terribleness ended up with one of my favourite bass tones I've gotten. Dirty as fuck.

Sorry for going off-topic, but do any of you still have the stem files for the death metal song Ermz did one of his mixes of? (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/285689/death-metal-mix5.mp3)
The original thread last time I checked the links were dead. Ermz, would you mind hosting the stems file if you still have it? It was a song that was put up for mixing practice a while ago.
Edit: Ok, I found it. Looks like the links are working again as well :) For all those interested http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/...ixing-contest-paid-job-offer-death-metal.html. Sorry to have derailed your thread, Ermz!

On-topic...
By the way, this is an awesome idea! I may definitely take advantage of this for a few of my songs. Some details as to what you would need as far as DI tracks would be nice. Some basses tend to just sound muddy as hell so knowing what db you would prefer them at when tracking, etc. would be good. Not sure if necessary though.

especially with bass, if the source lacks, i highly recommend reprogramming bass rather than trying to fix that mess in the mix.
most basses that i record either sound great right away, or will never ever sound as great as staubs basses for example.
people underestimate the value of a consistent player, new strings, pickups, editing, great arrangement.
ermz, i think the idea in genereal is good!
but im not sure if its worth the money having a great bass sound while everything else is poorly mixed...
well, let the clients decide!

my thoughts exactly!
If the source is poor you'll also won't be able to magically turn it into awesome bass grinding machinery...although I'm sure the result of your reamp/premix would be better then a lot of approaches with the same source.
I also agree that bass is a fundamental part of a good mix, and that it doesnt get enough attention in most metal mixes...but I thought that you think that too, since the bass in Ermins mixes always has a lot of power ;)

I'm curious to see who the clients will be! A lot DIY bands may not even know (yet) that they need an awesome bass too. But since there seems to be a market for reamping for bands who go the DIY route it should also work for bass. I just think that guys who allready know that they also need a strong bass are more further into mixing than guys who only focus on the guitars, and have not (yet, again) seen/realized that the whole picture counts.
But yeah, I see a market, even for myself: In case I for examples should get to mix a rock band who needs a huge driving bass and I'm not happy with what I'm getting this is a really nice solution!
Good luck with it Ermz!

This is SUCH a sick idea. I wish I could afford to take you up on this service for a project I'm currently mixing!

<3 - Good luck with it dude!

I recall giving Marcus the service for substantially less, but thinking back on how much time it took, I think $50 as a baseline is fair to start with, considering that this is a mix service as well as reamp.

Early bird special I suppose :D But it sounded great at the end (even if you thought it was too buried :D), so I would've gladly payed more for it, so here's satisfied-customer endorsement #1 of undoubtedly many to come!

I've seen on this forum that some bass players are laying down bass with a pitch correction plugin (especially with drop down tunings) Would you also provide pitch correction. You would return the bass track to the customer with the osumafied track + pitch corrected track.

That's more of an editing process and would ideally already be printed on the DI, along with any pocketing. If pitch or time editing is needed I could certainly provide it - it would come at an additional cost, as it's a fairly significant investment of time in its own right.

Thanks.
I'll pitch correct it myself

Also, how about the notion of adding distortion to a bass track. Would you return to the customer the awsomafied track and the distortion track? The customer wold then mix to taste.

Yes I would do all the distortion/tone pulling and then combine the two back down to a single mono file, to leave as little work for the client as possible. The idea is to get back a bass track that is somewhere in the ballpark of 90% ready to go.

Would you want specific tone requests "fender jazz bass with aural exciter and distortion or -- "make me sound like this bass player". Sorry if I'm putting you to task.

Definitely a good idea. You ought to also offer consultation for pre-tracking. A lot of people don't know shit about bass tone or how to make the sound they're looking for in the end.

Would you want specific tone requests "fender jazz bass with aural exciter and distortion or -- "make me sound like this bass player". Sorry if I'm putting you to task.

Requests more like 'make it sound somewhat alike to this album' would be more plausible than the above, simply because if someone doesn't record with a Fender J-bass, there's absolutely no way I'd be able to make it sound like one.

The quality of the source dictates the potential of the end product. So the best thing someone can do is point toward other finished bass tones, how they sit and whether to approximate them or not in order to sit with the vision of the mix.

The rest will just be a matter of getting the best possible tone that the source allows.