Question for Steve

Igastopheles

New Metal Member
Apr 28, 2009
Hello, I've been really wondering about what kind of strings you use? The brand name I don't necessarily care too much about, but gauges and whether they're flatwounds or roundwounds I've been really curious about. I've always been very curious about fretless bass but still have never played one myself, and besides just being a fan and wanting to ask general nerdy fan-type questions like "what strings do you use," I've been wondering if there are any significant differences between playing with rounds or flats on a fretless, besides the tonal difference.

I guess my main reason I ask this is because of the effects of vibrato on the fingerboard wood. I mean, some of my frets have little lines worn into them from vibrato(I play rounds), and those are made of metal. I would just imagine the effects of roundwound vibrato on a bare fingerboard really scratching the wood up. Am I right or wrong in believing this? Would playing with roundwounds on a fretless be dangerous or make little to no difference?

Thanks a lot for your time.

Bending strings and vibrato are not the same thing. On fretless you use vibrato which doesn't wear the neck at all really. But on the main topic of using rounds on fretless, they do wear the fingerboard slightly over time. It depends a lot on what type of wood it is. It's best to just ignore it and if it eventually wears enough that you start to get some buzzing (would take years) you can always get it smoothed out again (dressed), or do it yourself.

Son of Magni is right.Besides that , ebony fingerboard is very good option for fretless .Using flats may not wear down Your fingerboard as much as rounds but it sounds ... well , Ya know how it sounds :) there's more "dirt" in sound when You use rounds but it can be controlled with proper technique (meaning overall technique of playing - losen fingertips , good control of the sound) I prefer rounds cause it sounds better to me.Steve wrote somethin about it and if i'm correct said that rounds cause minimal damage to the fingerboard ( ebony) after many many years but it doesnt affect tone or feel.