Question about basses

Dec 28, 2005
Hey Steve,

I'm wondering if you've ever tuned your Carvins with a low B. From what I've read on Carvin's site, the BB/LB basses are 34" scale basses. If you have, is it loose? And if not, what gauge B are you using?

I have a 34" scale, 5-string fretless jazz copy right now (hoping to order a 6 string Carvin at the end of this summer), and my .130 B is really loose unless I raise the action all the way up (to a point where if I play a note before the 12th "fret", the string flops against the fingerboard). I'm currently using a Rotosound set on it, but when I order a new set of strings (probably in a couple months), I'm looking at a D'Addario set with a .135 gauge.

My bass isn't neck-thru, nor is it string-thru, which I believe the BB/LB basses are. As far as I know, both make a difference on tension, so what I'm really asking is this:

If I were to order one of those basses at the end of the summer, do you think I should go with the 34" scale, or should I pay the extra money to get the XB with the 35 1/4" scale?

I don't play five because I can't stand how floppy B-strings are, amongst other reasons.

That said, if you need that extra tension, GO FOR IT! Depending on what kind of bridge you put on it, you could always just run thru the bridge, I think.

On a well constructed 35" scale 5er, the B string probably won't be floppy...I know Alex Webster uses a .125 gauge string for his B, and he still tunes it down to A# with no complaints. I was talking to somebody on the Nile forums about it, and he's got a couple Spectors since he's endorsed by them, and he uses a .125 as well and can tune down to A with very little floppyness.

It's just that right now I have a 34" scale. There's a trick that you can do where thread your string through PC board spacers before you put it on and tune it, and I've done that and re-intonated the string, but it's still loose tuned to A. At B it's fine, and even at A#, but I play in A a lot as well. If I play with fingers and on the 1st-7th "frets", it's not noticable enough to be extremely irritating, but it's still a bit...ghetto? I guess.

That's why I'm thinking about just getting the 35 1/4" scaled Carvin when I order it, but I don't know how much neck-thru and string-thru will affect string tension. If I can get the n-t/s-t 34" to save some money, knowing that it won't be as loose with a .130 tuned to A, I will, since I'll only be making $6.50/hr, working ~20hr/week during the summer.

Most Carvins come with a string-thru-body capable bridge btw, as far as I know.

Guys,guys...
all these things well said and probably right , but...
have you considered your fingers?meaning - to much strenght used to play b string? i dont have b string,but i often go and check some gear in shops and i have no problems with it ,just dont play b so hard as other strings :)
think this through dudes
cheerz'n'greetz

When I use my fingers it's fine (a little thumpy and loose, but fine), but when I use a pick (which if I'm going to be using my low B I'll often play with a pick), it "flops" against the fingerboard.

Yep.. know what ya mean .I dont use pick in any way( :->) but ,yeah , its a bit nervous when these things happen .My friend uses pick and he uses pick all the time - when i asked him about this :"well,shit happens " he said ;)
dont sweat it man ,pick has enormous power even if its not used with lotta strenght thats why i dont use it :eek:)
and the beeer must go on...

Sorry for my english :)

Simply lift strings above fingerboard, on a bridge :) Concerning the size of strings -than string is "fat" the amplitude of oscillation is less.

(I have Fender Precision Fretless - 4 string, and Peavey - Gring - 5 strings)