Bass n00b - string guage for C standard?

Metaltastic

Feb 20, 2005
Yup, I don't know dick about basses or string guages, so what would be a good ballbark guage range (prepackaged, I don't care enough to buy 'em individually ;)) for a 4-stringer in C-standard? And the one I'm looking at has a 34" neck, which I guess would be considered medium-scale.

I'd go for a light 5-string set (like a .120) and just ditch the high string. My 34" Ibanez GSR bass is tuned to B with a .130 and it holds fine, even in drop A. Sound could be a bit less boomy on the B but it was a $200 bass and it has the stock pickups.

What bass is it?

Some basses just handle lower tunings better than others, regardless of scale length.

+1 to just using a 5 string set and tuning it up.

Rotosound make a 4 string set with a 130 on the bottom, supposedly designed for tuning to B. You could have a look at that, but it's only really worth it if it's cheaper than a 5 string set.

It's just like guitar - it largely depends on the sound you want. You don't necessarily want your bass strings really tight like your guitar strings, as it makes it more difficult to play and I find hammer-ons/pull-offs tend to have more fret noise. I like my bass strings a bit on the looser side.

Personally, I'd say go for a .115-.120 E and see what you think. I'm not sure I see the point of getting a 5-string set when you can get 4-string sets with a .120 E.

For C-standard, that's pretty much what I'd go for - I used to play in drop A with .140 on a 34" and that was spot on.

Steve