New basses!!

OH MY!

The ebony used on bass #1 for the top and fretboard is just so fantastic, pure black! I'm going to have a bass with a top like that one day.
Are the basses' scale 34"? Don't the last strings get kind of floppy? Maybe you like them way, some people do!

Tuning on both basses: F#-B-E-A-D-G-C-F

- Jan Erik

Just because it has to be asked on the technical side of things:

For such a low tuning (F#), wouldn't it be better to be using a bass guitar with a longer scale length, say 35 1/4 inches or so?

Also, wouldn't playing that low of a note be felt more rather than heard? :zombie: After all, the human ear only goes to about 20 Hz and even the best bass amplification has its limits on what low frequencies it can reproduce.

And, just to be silly:

You do know that reptiles are attracted to low end frequency vibration, right? You're going to be bringing out every snake in the village! :lol:

Perhaps, but it does sound tight and its not really particularly floppy either, though its a 34". The F# is about 23hz and is very audible to the human ear, most bass amplification will be able to reproduce the F# and even the C# at 17hz, but with a loss of dB. In most cases its the speakers and not the amp itself that is the problem, its actually quite hard to get speakers that go below 35hz (the B is 31hz), again with a loss of dB. A possible solution is to get a PA power-amp and a PA subwoofer and hook that up with a bass pre-amp and a 4x10" bass cab.

Hey, how could I miss this news! Good luck with the bass, guess it is completed by now.

I have a pair of bassculture.de humbucking pickups w/wood cover in my 6 string bass, and they sound awesome.

Did you have any specific reason to have two quite similar basses built? (or did i miss something?)

They're very nice basses, but it looks like quite a stretch for the hands to play. I guess you get used to that...

Erik, now you have the basses for some time. Being a bassist myself I'd really appreciate some sort of review or a couple of words about your experiences with the new babies. Sound, playability, overall feeling, the differences between the two basses sound wise etc.
So if you'd found some time to write a couple of words about these that would be cool.

Thanks,

bass1onfloor.jpg

wow :yow:
this one is THE BASS!