Question for the guitarists

Prophetix

Devon killed Buddy
Sep 4, 2001
Dawlat elBa7rain
www.opeth.com
For all you guitarists out there, just wanna see your opinions on guitars.
I managed to gather 800 bucks and I'm really looking for a good guitar. Good guitar in the sence: Great tone (Petrucci, Vai), Great Playability and great Looks.
Hypothetically, lets say you got $800 right now. You wanna buy a guitar, what would you get?

With $800, probably a Jackson SL-3. I love those things. Slap a Boss Metal Zone on that thing and you have sustain for eternity. Even without the pedal, it's a beast. It has the Floyd Rose system, though, an' I dun know your thoughts on locking tremolos.

I actually haven't tried those two out. A friend of mine actually has a Jackson SL-3, so he let me jam on it for a while. Really fast neck, too. He also told me that that is the guitar Ihsahn [ex-Emperor] uses, and after watching their DVD, I can say he's right. Not that that should influence your decision, but it is a mighty fine guitar. Also, if Lindgren thinkg high enough of that guitar to play, it may be worth checking into.

Sounds perfect for me, although I'm not sure if I want a FRS because I'm always changing the tuning...I'll see. Thanks. :)

SL3BLK.jpg

Wow.:)

Ok, Jackson does their model numbers as follows...

1 and 2, (kv1, kv2, sl1, sl2, etc) are if I am not mistaken, neck through models, meaning the neck goes through the body. It has better sustain and tone. Those go for somewhere around 1400 plus United States dollars. I have a kv2 and love it.

3 (kv3, sl3, etc) are not neck throughs. That doesn't make them bad in any way. I also have a ke3 (kelly), and it is also a very incredible guitar. I believe that was around 600 bucks.

BC RICH makes a very mean guitar. Warlock, Bich, Virgin, or Beast. For the money you are willing to spend, you could get a NJ Series Warlock, if you do, get it with a widowhead stock. I want a neck through version.

You could probably get a used Jackson or BC RICH neck through for that kind of money as well. Just make sure that the guitar is worth the money. Know what to look for as in neck warpage, fret wear etc.

I believe that with guitars, you get what you pay for... In most cases. My first guitar was a Epephone strat copy that went for aroung 250 brand new. That thing took abuse like you wouldn't believe. I threw it out in the snow, snapped off strings, slammed it down, etc, etc, and to this day, it still plays. I am willing to bet that if I put my Jacksons through such totrure, they would die.

I'm going to assume you're from around the USA here.
For $800, definitely a carvin - www.carvin.com

Great tone? Definitely, without a doubt. Very versatile too.
Great playability? Well, Jason Becker used them and he seemed to play okay :). Great action, and it's NECK THRU!
Great looks? You can customise pretty much everything with the guitar, from the finish to the wood, to the colour of hardware.

hopefully you won't end up spending $800 on something inferior (i.e. pretty much every guitar in that price range)

hmm what about a gibson?
i've heard they should be pretty good... maybe you can get a used gibson for the 800 bucks, as they're fucking expensive if new.
well dunno i think about getting me an eguitar in some time... also look for a rather cheap good one..

It definitly depends what type of music you are using your guitar for. Pop? Metal? Rock? Do you need Extremely high output mics or mid output for clean sounds? What type of materials of the body/neck suits your taste of sound?
I myself prefer guitars that is "allround" in its sound. Makes it easy to shift between raw highdistorted sound and soft clean sounds. I also like Mahogny as body/neck material... Loveee it. ;)

If I had the money I definitly would consider a PRS. Quality all the way...

Originally posted by Lethe78
Ok, Jackson does their model numbers as follows...

1 and 2, (kv1, kv2, sl1, sl2, etc) are if I am not mistaken, neck through models, meaning the neck goes through the body. It has better sustain and tone. Those go for somewhere around 1400 plus United States dollars. I have a kv2 and love it.

3 (kv3, sl3, etc) are not neck throughs. That doesn't make them bad in any way. I also have a ke3 (kelly), and it is also a very incredible guitar. I believe that was around 600 bucks.

Sorry, but that is wrong.

The 1s and 2s are USA Select Series guitars made in the USA Custom Shop. They are the most expensive Jacksons available (apart from real customs) but also offer best features and quality.

Whether a Jackson is neck-thru or bolt-on depends on the model... Dinky's always are bolt-on (even the USA made DK1), Soloists always are neck-thru, with Kellys, KVs and RRs both is available, for ex.:
KE-3 bolt on; KE-2 neck-thru.

The SL-3 is a Japanese import neck-thru guitar which is well worth its money.

BTW, Jackson got a completely new site since they were bought by Fender... check out www.jacksonguitars.com, the site really rocks now. The models are now listed in a good way, so you can see the differences.

Giving advice to a guitar player telling him to use a Boss Metal Zone, is like giving a depressed suicidal person a rope and a loaded gun.

Ummm, If i were you I'd save another 200 bucks and get a used Gibson Les Paul. If not, go for an Ibanez RG3120, feels and sounds like the old Ibanez Petrucci's, and since you want that type of tone...Ibanez RG570, or 3120.

simple things every guitar player should know when buying a guitar:

-neckthrough isnt as good as people say it is, most guitar metal bands dont use neckthrough guitars and it costs ALOT more money, stick with bolt on necks, its the most reliable

-Ibanez RGs suck (thats why none of the bands you like use them)

- EMG = best pickup for metal, but have fun trying to get a clean tone with them

- LTDs Suck (ESP ripoffs)

- Gibson and PRS are overpriced, mikeal uses PRS because he can afford it, they are wicked guitars but overpriced

- Can't go wrong with an AMERICAN made Jackson

- You most likely DONT need a Floyd rose, pluse tunamatic hold tuning better

Ibanez RG's do not suck :)
I have one, and I like it a lot better than all the other guitars I've tried in the same price-range (I've got a RG470). They look sweet, the tone is great, and they're easy to play as well.

this is what mine looks like (well, this is actually an rg570, but they look the same....). I've got the dark blue one.

rg570.gif